Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taborj
Level 7

HGTV

Anyone having issues with the HGTV channel?  Lately when I start the channel, it doesn't load at all.  I have to exit out and come back in at least once more before it actually loads.

I would suspect my network infrastructure, but all other channels (Netflix, Prime, Vudu, etc) all work perfectly.

Jon
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: HGTV

Does this happen on other Discovery-owned channels? If so, it could be something on the Discovery server side of things.

Or, it could be the app itself has an issue. Have you tried removing it, rebooting the Roku (do not skip this step), and reinstalling the app? If there's a corruption that is causing it to misbehave, those steps will likely clear it out.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
taborj
Level 7

That's a good point about the related channels.  I added the DIY network, and sure enough it, too, has the same issue.

I did remove and re-add, but I didn't reboot the Roku in between.  But in light of the DIY channel having the same issue, I'd wager it's not a local issue.  Side note, I did notice (by looking at my firewall logs) that they use Amazon AWS, which is being pounded for Prime Day...

This is a TCL Roku TV, btw, model 32s3750.

Thanks for the response.

Jon
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

FWIW, if you omit the intermediate reboot, the removal and re-add doesn’t really do anything. The reboot with the app not installed — that is, after removal and before reinstallation — is what does the cleanup. This is true of all Roku apps. Omit the reboot in that spot and it doesn’t count.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Tom5
Level 7

Tried this and still doesn't work.  The problem seems to be that the screen where you select your service provider isn't coming up.  I have done this on other TV's with other rokus in the same house with the same router and this service provider selection screen appears before entering the activation code.  Why does this service provider selection prompt not appear on certain rokus?

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

When signing into the HGTV channel on your Roku device, it will prompt you to activate your device by going to a website and entering an activation code. After entering this code, you will then be asked to select your TV provider.

If you are not able to access the HGTV channel, try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the HGTV channel back once more. Then sign in using the process I mentioned. Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos