Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cqcq42
Binge Watcher

HDHomeRun Channel does not play content

My HDHomeRun Prime provides live TV and DVR service on my home network. I was excited to see that Roku added an HDHomeRun channel.

When opening the channel, I see all my TV channels, plus all my recorded programs, however if I select a completed recording and attempt to Watch, I get a black screen with a progress bar already at about 40% that does not move and the content never plays, If I select Live TV or a currently recording program, I briefly see the black screen before being kicked back to the channel.

I reported this problem to SiliconDust (the makers of HDHomeRun), but they replied that they had reported this to Roku, but that Roku did not seem interested in fixing the problem.

So is it true that Roku will not be fixing this problem? Can you provide a list of audio and video codecs that my Roku product supports (Premiere) and do other products support more audio/video codecs?

0 Kudos
40 REPLIES 40
dpeeps74

Re: HDHomeRun Channel does not play content

I just moved recently and hooked up my Roku finally today after a few weeks and I'm having this same problem. For me it will start a channel and play for a minute, maybe 5, and then it will just go back to the channel selector, if it even plays the channel at all. Most it just goes black, acts like it's trying to load, and then goes back to the channel selector. I actually have used this near daily for years and never had this problem. I even tried resetting my Roku and that made no difference. My next step was going to be what you did, opening a ticket to SiliconDust.

0 Kudos
cqcq42
Binge Watcher

What TV supplier are you using now vs. who you had before your move? I have Comcast/Xfinity that encrypts everything so I use an HDHomeRun Prime with CableCard for my DVR/Viewing.

It sounds like our problems are actually different. Yours sounds more like what happens when I try to view live HD TV from my HDHomeRun Prime while using an older iPad (no HDHomeRun app so I use InstaTV): the content plays for a second or two then the audio plays while the image freezes. I can watch SD content fine,

Don't know if there any clues in here to help Roku fix the problem.

0 Kudos
dpeeps74

Hmm, maybe it's different. I don't use DVR, i just use OTA for Live TV. Just the part where you said it kicks you out of Live TV seems similar. I've emailed SD regarding my case to see if they have any solution.

0 Kudos
RichyFL
Channel Surfer

Hdhomerun APP Need Roku Support

I bought the Roku for the specific reason use the HDHOMERUN app to access my IPTV.  I have already contacted silicondust.  Evidently they need assistance from Roku to work out some playback bugs but Roku has turned a deaf ear. 

Roku needs to get this resolved as social media is a powerful tool to use to either promote or warn.

RichyFL
Channel Surfer

Same issue Roku needs to fix it.  But looking at this, I doubt they even monitor this board.  Maybe social media is a better vehicle

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Hdhomerun APP Need Roku Support

I'm not certain I believe SiliconDust completely here. Roku seems to support developers well, although the current pandemic is impacting many a company's support offices. That might be the situation at the moment.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
drwho1108

Re: Hdhomerun APP Need Roku Support

This has been an issue since January. I was going to upgrade to use HD Homerun since Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7. It has been a big disappointment. Who ever is to blame doesn't matter. Looks bad for both Roku and Silicon Dust

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@RichyFL 

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact HDHomeRun channel support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RichyFL
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@RichyFL 

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact HDHomeRun channel support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

I did contact silicondust, the maker of HDHomeRun, they said you needed to work with them to resolve it and they have been unable to open a dialog with Roku.

I am not trying to be rude, but its obvious Roku and Silicondust need to get together to resolve this.  I am not the typical customer where you can punt this back and forth.  They seem willing now it your turn.  You all should have a single point of contact with silicondust.

Make this happen and keep everyone happy, that is a good business model.

Please.