Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anon999

Re: HDHomeRun Channel does not play content

From silicondust:- All apps basically use the same Roku video player code, that only Roku controls. You'll most likely see the same issue with the media player. Something in the cable TV video data makes the Roku video player think there is an error, and it stops playing. We've tried to make Roku aware of the issue, but we're not sure if they'll do anything about it. On a technical level, there's nothing actually stopping it from working. The Roku video player code just needs to be tweaked to ignore the data errors.

0 Kudos
cqcq42
Binge Watcher

You would think Roku engineers could use debug to catch this error as well as the errors in Peacock streaming.

Or maybe ignore errors that won't crash the player or just skip error checking?

0 Kudos
RichyFL
Channel Surfer

I bought a fire stick, works great.  I will never buy another roku device, ever.  When I brought this to roku attention, it seems they have one answer....reset and reinstall.  They are worthless.  I also contacted SD and told them to remove Roku as being compatible.  Evidently they Roku is having internal issues.

MBinNC
Reel Rookie

@anon999 wrote:

From silicondust:- All apps basically use the same Roku video player code, that only Roku controls. You'll most likely see the same issue with the media player. Something in the cable TV video data makes the Roku video player think there is an error, and it stops playing. We've tried to make Roku aware of the issue, but we're not sure if they'll do anything about it. On a technical level, there's nothing actually stopping it from working. The Roku video player code just needs to be tweaked to ignore the data errors.

This explains why it works through PLEX. We record shows off the HDHomeRun onto our PLEX server. But it's so much easier just to start the HD app and watch live that way vs logging into PLEX. But when it starts dropping, we login to PLEX and watch Live TV there and it'll work fine. My guess is PLEX is transcoding and the errors get dropped before reaching the Roku. 

Its wild how random it can be. Some days it's unusable. Other days it might buffer once or twice in a whole day. 

Hate Roku is being so difficult because their players, speed, and ease of use blow the Fire's away. We lost our tiny FireTV remote and never replaced it. Just wasn't the same. 

0 Kudos
merliegw

Well, I guess I should have searched and found this BEFORE I contacted SiliconDust.

It is October 2021, almost a year since your post.

Listed in my email below but I am using two Roku Ultra units, and the latest one (this week) was just upgraded with the latest firmware when I plugged it in yesterday.

Roku !  What is wrong ?

(my email to SiliconDust with all the details)

I have just purchased your HDHomeRun Flex 4k.

First, I would like to say that I have never purchased anything that was so easy to setup and worked so fast!
I literally plug in the antenna, plugged in the network cable, plugged in the power, downloaded the android app and watched tv! Simple!!

Now to my issue/question.

This appears to be a Roku issue but hoping you may have some tips or suggestions.

Here are my test devices:
Roku Ultra wired to the network
Roku Ultra wireless to the network
MacBook Pro wireless to the network

I am watching a channel on the wired Roku and it was dropping back to the channel guide.
I assumed the signal was fading or dropping so I was monitoring the tuner on the MacBook while watching on the wired Roku and the signal strength was 100%, Signal quality was bouncing (I was constantly refreshing) between 73 and 89% even as the Roku dropped back to the channel list
This same thing happens on the Roku that is wireless.

Now the strange part is I have the HDHomeRun app installed on the MacBook which is wireless, and I tested watching the same channel on the wired Roku and the MacBook; the Roku dropped back to the channel list three times in less than 10 minutes but the MacBook never stopped streaming the channel.

Since the same issue happens on both the wired and wireless Roku but not on the MacBook, I have to assume there is something with the Roku and the HD app (channel). Both Roku units are updated, one was purchased 6 months ago and the other at the same time as the HDHomeRun Flex 4k.

Hoping you might have some insights into this or maybe I am the first to report this kind of issue.
Maybe you recommend different devices to use? I know one person who recommended your device that uses the nVidia Shield.

Thanks again for a great product.

0 Kudos
cqcq42
Binge Watcher

I too updated my Roku device (a premiere), but still have problems playing HDHomerun content.

Basically, I don't think Roku has the will to fix the problem. I have switched to another device (that-which-shall-not-be-named by 'A' of the hated JB) which is slightly better playing HDHomerun and plays AppleTV without the glitches I saw on Roku.

Just sad.

0 Kudos
MBinNC
Reel Rookie

It's ridiculous that the only way I can reliably play my HDHomeRun on any of our Roku devices is to play it through Plex's Live TV (Since it re-encodes on the fly) . Never stops or hiccups. Have never been able to watch something natively through the HDHomeRun app without it stopping at some point.

0 Kudos
djlouey
Reel Rookie

Same issue for me. I've been using HD Home Run for several years, always with Fire TV. For those thinking switching to that will be better, I'd caution you against that thinking. My fire TV experience (stick, basic box & cube) was sort of like the jalopies I could afford during college. You turn the key and hope it works today. HDHR especially was glitchy.

Roku is better in every aspect of the streaming experience (even if it takes a bit more tech savvy) EXCEPT HDHR. There is clearly an issue with this and I would imagine it's probably not a really difficult fix. Considering the prevalence of cord cutting and Silicone Dust being pretty much the industry leader, I would think this would be a bigger priority.

I work in media and have quite a bit of experience with streaming equipment. This leads me to believe that Roku may be taking the attitude that some do, "It's our setup and you should make all your feeds fit what we do." The reality is, the more platforms you adjust your system to work with, the greater your market share. Your pride over your technical superiority (*cough Apple*) doesn't mean jack to the user who can't get what they want.

So maybe Silicone Dust is lying and Roku didn't tell them to go pound sand regarding the errors. If so, Roku could say as much. Which leads me to believe it is truly their position. They do have issues with other apps regarding the format of video being streamed.

That said, I'll never go back to the Amazon **bleep** hole, so I watch my live TV through Plex. But Roku, do better. Swallow your pride, fix the problem, increase your market share. Everyone wins.

0 Kudos
djlouey
Reel Rookie

A week later, I think I found a fix at least for my setup. I was attempting to fix an issue with another app and cleared the cache. This also fixed the problem I was having with HDHR. Try it and see if it works for you. There is not an option (at least that I could find) to clear the cache. So do this:

From the "Home" screen, make sure "Home" is selected then press this sequence on the remote: Home 5 times, up, rewind twice, fast forward twice. It will seem like nothing is happening for several seconds, then reboot. After doing this, HDHR operated normally on my Roku Ultra. 

0 Kudos
cqcq42
Binge Watcher

At first, after doing this, video worked with no audio. After fiddling with audio settings everything magically worked! Live channels can be paused\resumed as can recorded programs.

Odd instructions! Does this explain why I now have 3 extra lives, 2 health packs and an RPG? ;<}

0 Kudos