Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: HDHomeRun Channel does not play content

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cqcq42
Binge Watcher

This has not worked in the past, and it didn't fix the problem just now.

I have no clue as to why playback does not work, especially since, every once in while a show can play.

As to why watching live TV or a currently recording show on HDHomeRun does not work, maybe it is because Roku is not opening the files in shared mode.

0 Kudos
RichyFL
Channel Surfer

No, it does not work, hasn't worked has been proffered before, didn't work then either.

Rather than the standard remove and reinstall answer, just fix the app.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Roku doesn't fix apps.  Only the developer of the channel can figure out what's wrong.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RichyFL
Channel Surfer

Per Silicon Dust, the developer, Roku broke off contact with Silicon Dust.  I have no idea who is telling the truth, dont care, just want it fixed.  Roku can contact SD

0 Kudos
cqcq42
Binge Watcher

Hmmm. So if Silicon Dust determines that Roku is doing something wrong, then Roku has no obligation to fix the problem?

Not a great business model. Guess I'll try Fire TV to see who gets my precious third HDMI slot.

0 Kudos
Andersonteddy
Reel Rookie

I’m not sure if this will help, but I’m gonna put this out there. I was having a similar issue. I was showing 98% signal strength but horrible quality. I attenuated the signal down to about 90% and my quality went almost perfect. All 5 of my Roku now play my OTA without issue. 

0 Kudos
cqcq42
Binge Watcher

My HDHomeRun is not OTA. Anyway, I got a Fire TV stick and its HDHomeRun channel actually works.

0 Kudos
MGWiz
Reel Rookie

Let me tell you what I have figured out.  The HDHomerun outputs the broadcast signal if it's receiving over the air without transcoding.  Broadcast TV in the US is MPEG2 video with Dolby AC3 audio.  I have two Roku devices, an Ultra and an Express.  The Ultra can decode MPEG2 but not Dolby, the Express cannot decode either.  The audio is easy enough to work around, set it to pass the audio in its native form, all TV's in the US can decode Dolby AC3.  The video doesn't have a workaround, it's just not going to work unless Roku updates firmware to make it work.  Note that as far as I know all decoders that work with MPEG4 AVC are capable of MPEG2 if it's enabled, but clearly it's not enabled on the Express.  Likewise Dolby AC3 isn't special, but it does require specific support and the manufacturer must pay a royalty to Dolby.  If, like me, you find that having over the air TV is important it's best to get another device for it.  I believe that any Android device (Chromecast with Google TV was my choice) will work.  Mine works very well, much better than the Ultra which does work, but the controls are very rough, somehow the control API is unreliable.  

RichyFL
Channel Surfer

Finally an answer that makes sense!

That is logical, I will ping SiliconDust with this and tell them to remove the Roku from compatable items.  I bought a fire stick as that has proven compatibility.

This also makes sense why Roku stopped working on the issue as they know this and resort to the standard "try deleting and reinstalling the app” **bleep**.

Thank you¡

Now everyone knows unless they delete this.

0 Kudos