Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

HD Homerun App not showing video

I am running a Roku express and trying to use the HD homerun app.   When I open the app it detects my device, I can see the OTA channels and guide.  But when I select a channel i get a white bar that looks like the channel is loading but then I just get a black screen with no video and sound.   I can still continue to use the hd homerun menu to select channel but nothing happens.  I am able to use Ipad app with no issues and also seems to work fine on a tcl tv.  Anybody have any thoughts?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: HD Homerun App not showing video

@jamaniaci wrote:

I am running a Roku express and trying to use the HD homerun app.   When I open the app it detects my device, I can see the OTA channels and guide.  But when I select a channel i get a white bar that looks like the channel is loading but then I just get a black screen with no video and sound.   I can still continue to use the hd homerun menu to select channel but nothing happens.  I am able to use Ipad app with no issues and also seems to work fine on a tcl tv.  Anybody have any thoughts?

See the requirement below for MPEG2 support from Silicon Dust. This could be the issue with a Roku Express.

Introducing HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku (BETA) 

Support is limited to those Roku devices that have been updated to support MPEG-2 with Firmware version 9.0 or above.

I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything that definitively stated whether the Roku Express supports MPEG-2. Your TCL TV came with MPEG-2 support because it supports OTA channels.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Having the same issue with a Roku Ultra and the HDHomerun channel. Any thing else to try?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same issue with 2 new Express, but didn't have issues with older model Express or Sticks. I checked with Silicon Dust and they had the same issue with the new Express and recommended that I go to Roku Sticks. As far as Silicon Dust can figure it relates to the parts used in the new Express. It sounds like the newer Express uses inferior parts compared to the older models.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I'm having the same exact issue on my Roku SE. It runs great on my Tivo Stream4k but I help others with their Roku's and we're hoping for a fix soon!

0 Kudos