Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
whiteswan
Level 7

HD HOMERUN Now works with ROKU !!

I may have missed this announcement - but I have a HD HOMERUN QUATTRO and am so pleased to see a Roku Channel (even if it is beta) - you have to add it as a private channel via your account page after logging in on a pc - then click on "add a channel with a code" 
N6MN9QC enter that into the box
Mine added instantly on 2 x roku ultras and a Roku 3. 

Only LIVE TV works and its only compatible with some roku's.

Apparently some Samsung tv's wont play the audio as they don't decode ac3 dolby digital sound - but most other tv's, soun bars, amps etc should work fine.

Dave
0 Kudos
7 Replies
blade_005
Level 10

Re: HD HOMERUN Now works with ROKU !!

"whiteswan" wrote:
I may have missed this announcement - but I have a HD HOMERUN QUATTRO and am so pleased to see a Roku Channel (even if it is beta) - you have to add it as a private channel via your account page after logging in on a pc - then click on "add a channel with a code" 
N6MN9QC enter that into the box
Mine added instantly on 2 x roku ultras and a Roku 3. 

Only LIVE TV works and its only compatible with some roku's.

Apparently some Samsung tv's wont play the audio as they don't decode ac3 dolby digital sound - but most other tv's, soun bars, amps etc should work fine.

Dave

It was a Beta via Private Channel and code a couple of weeks ago. It is still in Beta, but is now available in the official Roku Channel Store. No need to add via Private Channel and special code.
https://www.cordcutters.com/hdhomerun-channel-now-roku-channel-store
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
ddevonb
Level 8

I have it on my Rokus but one one it works perfectly and the other has video but no audio. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"ddevonb" wrote:
I have it on my Rokus but one one it works perfectly and the other has video but no audio. Any ideas?

The device the Roku is connected to or the Roku TV must have the ability to decode Dolby Digital or AC3 audio over HDMI. If not, you will get video, but no audio.

See the Notification Notes from SiliconDust announcement below:

A Few Notifications
As previously stated, this is a beta app that only plays Live TV. Here are a few other things you should know about.

First, only Over the Air TV is supported at present. The HDHomeRun Prime is not currently officially supported in this release, but we are working to add support, and it likely will work with most cable providers outside of Comcast, as long as the channels are not DRM protected. 

Second, to hear audio, you need a TV, AV receiver, or soundbar that can decode Dolby Digital or AC3 audio over HDMI. Most modern TVs can do this, though we’ve noticed a few Samsung TVs cannot. All Roku televisions should be able to play audio without any trouble.

Third, support is limited to those Roku devices that have been updated to support MPEG-2 with Firmware version 9.0 or above.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"blade_005" wrote:

Third, support is limited to those Roku devices that have been updated to support MPEG-2 with Firmware version 9.0 or above.

And to clarify that statement, it appears the only Roku players that support MPEG-2 video are the fifth generation or later. See this page to see what generation you have. And even for the 5th generation the Express and Express+ may or may not support it. My Ultra 4640 does, as does my Premiere 3920. All Roku TVs support MPEG-2, regardless of firmware version. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

Yes, mostly. I have one broadcast channel out of 40+ that will rarely play in the Roku.  This is discussed a bit on the SiliconDust forums and it seems to be a consensus of a Roku MediaPlayer issue with some OTA signals.
(new) SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro (OTA) (FW 20190621)
(new) Roku Ultra 4660X (FW 9.1.0 - build 4111-46)
All local OTA channels (40+) load and play fine sans one.  Even my weakest signal broadcast channel plays fine.  All play and record fine on an old WMC PC not using the Roku (both an old HD Homerun box and the new Quatro listed above).  All record fine on a networked NAS as SiliconDust supports this feature (even in the Roku App as of this week; according to their announcement).  

BUT, I have one channel which will rarely load on the Roku in the Roku mediaplayer.  It gets some way into the "buffering" stage then simply exits out back to the HD Homerun App.  Thought it might be source of signal specific but it now has not been 100% consistent there.  (That is, local news show always seemed to load straight away but network, live broadcasts seem to never, ever load. But have had exceptions now for each behaving the opposite.)  Key is, I rarely can get one "broadcast channel" to load and play.  Happens to be WRAL 5.1 NBC in the Raleigh/Durham area and one of my stronger signals.  Once it starts, it is solid and plays for hours.  Just can rarely get it to start.  Ideas? Are there ways to turn on debug messages in the Roku Ultra player to diagnose?

UPDATE: During a football game yesterday on NBC, when we could not get the HD Homerun 5.1 channel to load, we were using the NBC Channel app on the Roku to watch.  But even that one kept dropping out every 15 minutes or so.  So it may not be the OTA broadcast channel but simply NBC's stream all together that the Roku Mediaplayer cannot handle.  Seems others have reported the issues with NFL Football games on NBC playing in the Roku mediaplayer.  Maybe something to investigate.
0 Kudos
tk978
Level 7

Not getting audio on HD Homerun channel on two out of three of my ROKU's 

4640X Ultra - audio works

4660X Ultra - No Audio

4630X Premiere+ - No Audio

To clarify this is just on the HD Homerun Channel everything works fine on all othere channels on all 3 ROKU's

0 Kudos
jco23
Level 7

i'm curious to see if Roku is aware of the limitions of use with HD Homerun app - and to see if they can offer any support for it? Roku + HDHomerun would be an ideal pair.

0 Kudos