Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Coneyparleg
Streaming Star

Re: HBOMax streaming in HDR not DolbyVision

Having this same issue on my 2020 TCL R635, a Roku TV. The Hbomax app on my tv used to be able to deliver dolby vision,  and now only hdr. Other apps still work. Please f8x this app. It's very disappointing to see this much fail.

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

I would contact HBO Max support and let them know. The more customers who call them, the faster they are likely to get it fixed.

0 Kudos
AJCxZ0
Streaming Star

Re: HBOMax streaming in HDR10 not DolbyVision

Three weeks and no update or rollback.

I just reported the issue as Troubleshoot & Fix and referenced this thread. We can also email support@hbomax.com.

0 Kudos
AJCxZ0
Streaming Star

A quick response from support@hbomax.com, but useless, ignoring the issue reported and suggesting the usual sequence of troubleshooting. I've followed up requesting,

0 Kudos
danaltick
Reel Rookie

On 5/11:

Hi Dan,

My name is Chris from HBO Max Advanced Support. I’m following up with you regarding your account issue.
Your equipment is likely fine. We were fielding complaints from customers that Dolby Vision content was flashing. We disabled Dolby Vision on Roku to investigate. Roku will address this with a firmware update at which point we will enable Dolby Vision again.

Reply from me:

If I understand you correctly your implying this is a problem with the current version of the O/S on the Roku Ultra. If so could you please explain to me why other apps such as Netflix and Disney+ stream Dolby Vision with no apparent issues?

On 5/11:

Hi Dan,

All apps are not the same. I'm not privy to how exactly they all handle Dolby Vision support to explain this. We are working with Roku to get this resolved and should be turned on again soon.

.....still waiting

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Makes one wonder what is going on with HDR on Roku lately. First Paramount+ back in December (which still isn’t fixed) and now HBO Max.

0 Kudos
AJCxZ0
Streaming Star

Thank you for sharing that most critical detail, @danaltick, and good job getting through to "Advanced Support" where this critical information is known.

My latest reply from a Customer Advocate only requests that I clear my cache on the Roku.

@RokuDanny-R, Can you corroborate this information and advise on how soon we might expect it fixed?

Perhaps more importantly, where should we, i.e. the customers of both the streaming service / application developer and Roku, find details of these service-impacting changes?

If no such place exists yet, then may I suggest that the * menu for apps have a Changes option which gives details of at least the customer-impacting changes such as this. Good examples are just about any free software project. Bad examples are most apps' "What's new" in the Google Play Store. For sufficiently major breaking changes such as this, a notice on first launch to affected customers might be appropriate.

While there, please fix the Update function so that it doesn't claim that the app has been updated every time it runs.

Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

@RokuDanny-R And while you are at it, maybe you can shed some light as to why we are seeing HDR issues on Roku as a trend?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware that the appropriate Roku team is currently investigating this issue.

If you have not already, please provide us with the following information:

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
-examples of titles that you see this issue occur

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AJCxZ0
Streaming Star

@RokuDanny-R, Thank you for confirming that the app developer removed the Dolby Vision feature from the app in 52.20 build 11 and that Roku is working with them to resolve the problem which led to this decision.

An HBO Max Customer Advocate advised me that they "do not have direct contact with [their] Advance Support team". In addition to suggesting the obvious, I suggested that they engage with us including here in the Roku Community.

0 Kudos