Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smorgasbord
Streaming Star

Re: HBOMax has stopped working

And here's what he came back with:

"As it turns out, we will be needing a little more time to check on this for you. I will have to raise this issue to Specialized support for further review. Once received, you will receive an email follow up for this matter. Will this be okay?"

0 Kudos
smorgasbord
Streaming Star

Just in case anyone at Roku support is reading:

Issue report tracker

Model: 3910RW - Roku Express+

Serial number: YG00DY737050 (C5395D737050)

Software version: 11.0.0 • build 4193-51

Timestamp: 2022-07-24T20:20:04Z

Please use issue ID 50-294-980 to report the current issue.

0 Kudos
smorgasbord
Streaming Star

So, HBO just got back to me with a "We give up" message, telling me to watch HBO on something other than a Roku. Here's the full text:

Thank you for your patience while my team has continued to research your issue with HBO MAX on Roku. I appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention. Our Support team will continue to track this experience and have noted the helpful details you've provided. I'm sorry this has continued to occur.  At this time, we may not be able to provide an immediate resolution, however our development teams are actively investigating. 

In the meantime, please try streaming HBO MAX on another supported device. I recommend continuing to check for updates to HBO MAX on Roku in the coming weeks as we continue to make improvements.I understand you may have further concerns, so please feel free to reply to this email with any additional questions, or if new details about this issue might emerge.

So yeah, Roku punts to HBO; HBO says use something other than Roku. Good show all around.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

An apple tv device is expensive, to boot.

0 Kudos
smorgasbord
Streaming Star

An apple tv device is expensive, to boot.

Yeah, but it works. I was staying at another house for 4 months recently, which has AppleTV and it worked flawlessly every time. With the problems HBOMax has had on Roku these past several months, do I want to pay for services I can't watch because Roku can't get their act together?

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Perhaps, getting an apple tv device will solve your problem with HBOMax. I am lucky to not have any issues with HBOMax on my 3 roku TVs.

0 Kudos
smorgasbord
Streaming Star

Final Update:

As of yesterday, HBOMax was STILL not working. Get the HBOMax purple splash screen, then rotating dots at the bottom, that rotate forever (OK, just hours and hours, I actually left it going overnight once).

Roku here was no help. HBO says it's a Roku issue.

Apple had a $25 credit discount and my Amex card had extra miles at Apple, so I bought an AppleTV. Installed it yesterday.

All is good in my streaming world now. All my streaming apps work well (HBOMax, Showtime, Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, Disney+) and as a bonus I don't see any advertisements like Roku blasts you with on the Home screen, etc.

So yeah, a short term pain to buy the more expensive AppleTV, but for me totally worth it.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@ratherman wrote:

just weird that it stopped working on all (4) of my Roku's but not my Android devices.

Many streaming providers use different servers to stream to different platforms. Many times something works on one platform but not another. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@smorgasbord wrote:

Final Update:

As of yesterday, HBOMax was STILL not working. Get the HBOMax purple splash screen, then rotating dots at the bottom, that rotate forever (OK, just hours and hours, I actually left it going overnight once).

Roku here was no help. HBO says it's a Roku issue.

It's not a Roku issue. I realize that doesn't help you much, but it's just a fact. I've been watching House of the Dragon each week since it started, always on my Roku Ultra 4800. Never had a problem, and I'm watching it in 4K/Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos sound. That's the highest load on the Roku, and there's no problem here. I've even briefly tried it on my lower end Premiere, and it plays 4K/HDR without any issue.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
smorgasbord
Streaming Star

Was cleaning up my browser bookmarks and came across the bookmark for this thread (and two others with the same unsolved problem).

Just wanted to update Roku users that since switching to AppleTV I have not had a single service failure that wasn't my ISP's fault. Seriously, EVERY time I'm able to reach the internet on a device in my house I'm able to watch any channel (HBO, Amazon, Netflix, etc.) without any issue. 

Yes, the AppleTV box was/is more expensive than my Roku box. But, it's already paid me back more than I spent in lack of time and aggravation. Plus, no Advertisements on home screens and such!

0 Kudos