Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ratherman
Channel Surfer

Re: HBOMax has stopped working

I have been trying to figure this out for weeks - I work in IT - so I have tried many things - it worked fine for months and nothing has changed - just weird that it stopped working on all (4) of my Roku's but not my Android devices.

0 Kudos
mmoore123

I am experiencing the same issue ever since 52.25 - build 54. Unfortunately I just updated to 52.30 - build 59, but it hasn't resolved the issue.

I have been in touch with HBO Max support to no avail. I have even factory reset my Roku and that didn't help.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@mmoore123  Probably an issue with the HBO Max servers.  There’s no way to downgrade your Roku device’s software version.  Unless the HBO Max channel’s software is up to date,  Warner Bros. Discovery (formerly WarnerMedia), which owns the HBO network, will need to update the HBO Max channel’s software version to be properly compatible with your Roku device’s software version. ~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

If you are still experiencing an issue with the HBO Max channel, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
ratherman
Channel Surfer

As stated - tried that - does not help...

0 Kudos
smorgasbord
Streaming Star

And.....

Here we go. AGAIN.

Yes, once again HBOMax refuses to load on my Roku Express. This happened several months ago, got addressed, but it's back again. It's the only channel that doesn't properly run. I get to the moving 3 dots and it just sits there. 

Yes, I can do and report version numbers, but the truth is that it's all up to date. 

Meanwhile, I can watch HBO on my laptop and on a friend's AppleTV box.

I've had enough. Time to scrap Roku forever and switch to something else.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

If restarting your Roku device does not fix your issue you need to contact HBOMAX technical support. 

HBO Max | What do you need help with?

0 Kudos
smorgasbord
Streaming Star

Restarting did not help.

This is the second time we've had problems with HBOMax on Roku. Time to go with another streaming solution. 

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Why waste money on a new device when contacting HBOMax will rule out an issue with your roku device?

0 Kudos
smorgasbord
Streaming Star

I am literally on a chat session with HBO right now. They're making me walk through all the usual steps that aren't working, and some silly steps that obviously wouldn't matter.

This is the second time HBOMax has had this behavior on Roku. Meanwhile, my friend's Apple TV has had zero problems.

OK, finally ran through his script of things to try. Now he's going to talk to someone actually knowledgable I hope.

0 Kudos