Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ratherman
Channel Surfer

HBOMax has stopped working

I have (3) Roku's and (1) Roku TV - all three of my Roku's are different models (Ultra, Premier+, etc.) (all running the latest version of Roku and the HBOMax app).  Has worked fine for over a year - starting 2-3 weeks ago they all stopped working with regard to HBOMax (everything else works).  Opening HBOMax, you get the splash screen and then it crashed and goes back to the home screen.  Tried all of the various tricks including uninstalling/rebooting/reinstalling, etc..  Logged into my HBOMax account and signed out of all devices.  I can login to the HBOMax app on my phone and tablet with no problem (and I can cast that to the TV using Chromecast).  There has to be a reason that all of the Roku's no longer support the HBOMax app.  Looking for suggestions - or do I throw them all away and get the new Google Chromecast??

0 Kudos
29 REPLIES 29
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HBOMax has stopped working

@ratherman wrote:

... Looking for suggestions - or do I throw them all away and get the new Google Chromecast??

That's an option. But as HBO Max works great for me, throw those Roku devices my way!

Seriously, though, you've done a good job of troubleshooting. This is a weird one. They all went out at the same time. And, the HBO Max app works on all my Roku devices. So, something specific there is going on. This may take some serious digging, if you're up to it.

Before we grab the shovels, though, try one other thing. On one of the devices, force an app update. Highlight the app, press the Options button, choose the selection to update the app. If it does any kind of update at all, do it again. And again. And again, until it says there is no app update available. If you are stuck in an update failure (no error message, just every time you check, it tries to actually do an update), then we've located the problem and need to focus there.

If there is no app update, or if there is, but after it's applied, there is no further app update, then if the issue remains, grab those shovels.

For each Roku device, provide the model number and the software version/build. Settings > System > About

On each device, get the HBO Max app version/build. Highlight the app and hit Options. It's at the top.

With that, we can compare to what we have and see if anything looks out of the ordinary. That could be an older version that fails to update, or something completely unexpected. Perhaps the data will lead to a solution.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
LeeBritt

I currently am having this same issue with HBO on Roku

Was working fine last night.  Here is the Issue Report Tracker:

Model 7106X - Roku TV

Serial number - YNOOUJ606582 (9U67CU606582)

Software version: 11.0.0 build 4193-30

Timestamp 2022-07-07T23:4501Z

0 Kudos
ratherman
Channel Surfer

Appreciate your help.  I just tried to update the app at least a dozen times.  Every time it says 'HBOMax updated', but nothing changes.  Just for testing, I tried the same thing for Discovery+ and it says Discovery+ updated; but Discovery+ works fine. On this particular box I am testing, version of HBOMax is 52.25 - build 54. This box is a 4670X ver. 11.0.0, build 4193-36.  Please let me know if you need anymore information. Thanks again,

John R.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@LeeBritt @ratherman

Thanks for the posts.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. 

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
ratherman
Channel Surfer

Nope - have tried that many times on multiple devices - still no luck.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@ratherman  If all the other apps work on your Roku, then it’s probably an issue with the HBO Max servers.  If not, there might be an issue with your router.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
ratherman
Channel Surfer

Well it is not my router since I can access HBOMax fine on my phone and tablets...

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@ratherman  Never mind.  I had to read your initial post again.  So, I guess this is an issue between Roku and HBO Max.  Although Roku does not develop the HBO Max channel for Roku devices; WarnerMedia (now known as Warner Bros. Discovery as of 04-08-2022) does.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

HBOMax is working correctly on my 3 roku TVs. One a Sharp and 2 Westinghouses.