Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Astrosfanmd
Level 7

HBOMax Crashes on Roku Stick 3500X

I cannot get the HBOMax app to work on my Roku Stick. Looks like I have the 3500X model. Installed the app. Starts and the HBOMax home screen starts to load then it freezes and crashes back to the Roku Home screen.  Never get the chance to click on any content. Tried removing channel, using the HBOMax app on my phone to log out of all devices and then doing a System Restart on my Roku. No dice. Same problem. Cannot seem to get support from Roku on this.  Is it that my older stick cannot handle the HBOMax app or is this an across the board issue with the HBOMax app?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8\
bex303
Level 7

Re: HBOMax Crashes on Roku Stick 3500X

Same thing here! Older Roku stick and no dice on the new HBOMax. Every other channel working just fine!

0 Kudos
Shayna33
Level 7

Same here. None of the fixes posted for other devices works for me either. 

sherken12
Level 8

I found a solution from another Roku thread.  Step 1- you have to make sure you are logged out of HBO, HBONOW or even HBOGO.  Do this on your computer or phone - chose log out all devices.  It says it make take 4 hours, but I didn't find that to be the case.  Step 2 - load  the HBOMAX channel on your Roku.  I Step 3 - go to the search bar on your ROKU and search for "flight attendant" or a similar movie/series.  Step 4- it will show in the search results that the movie is available on HBOMAX, select it from there.  Step 5 - let it load completely.  Step 6- select play - which will then allow you to log in- give you the code to use on your computer or phone or login using your email.  I am on a roku 3500x and this is the farthest I've gotten since Friday the 18th.  I am currently playing episode 1 of The Flight ATtendant.  I haven't tried to view anything else, I'm letting this play through.  I read that, for now anyway, if you "search" for a movie or series and enter the HBOMAX that way, you are at least able to view without being kicked back to the home screen.  Hope this helps someone !

Astrosfanmd
Level 7

Thanks for this tip. Looks like it is a partial solution. I was able to use this procedure to watch The Flight Attendant. However, as soon as I tried to back it to the HBOMAX home screen, it froze and crashed again. So it looks like the problem is that the HBOMAX home screen is too complex to be loaded on the 3500X. Hopefully they will address this somehow soon. 

AmericanBlues
Level 7

Agreed - it’s theHBO Max home screen that appears to be the problem.  I just did the same procedure for another movie and able to watch it fine.  Will need to browse the home screen from my phone app, and then search for the specific movie to watch it on my Roku. 

0 Kudos
mmassaro
Level 7

Same thing is happening to me and I mistakenly found a work around... when you're on the blank screen where you think it's loading the artwork, before it kicks you out scroll down the menu on the left using the down arrow and somehow it will load the content. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Effy
Level 7

After trying all the “solutions” offered elsewhere, updating, rebooting, cursing Roku, this solution WORKED!!! I used Search in Roku to find “Suicide Squad”,  waited for it to load , and it’s playing! Thanks for sharing the work around! 

0 Kudos
Hannahmorgan12
Level 7

#mmassaro,
If you’re referring to the menu items that are down the left side? It doesn’t always show up on my screen. It has shown up maybe 3 or 4 times. If, I was luck and fast enough to see it, then fast enough to get into the menu. Whenever I tried to use the arrow to go down the menu and click on anything the whole menu column disappeared. I have the worst luck with electronic's.

0 Kudos