Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DTShade

Re: HBO Max endlessly scrolls three dots at the bottom of the screen

Jump to solution

Tried updating still doesn't work.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@DTShade wrote:

Same here, it's stuck.  I click on HBO Max and it shows the HBOMAX start up screen then shifts to black with an endless 3 dot scroll and that's it. Never goes beyond it.

I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling , updating etc. still no joy.

Works fine on my phone and chromecasted to TV but I like the ease and Roku interface so much more.

Wish someone had a solution...

DT

You didnt mention your Roku model # or firmware version (Settings/System/About) or app version (highlight the app and press Options (*) on the remote)

FYI, the correct procedure to re-install an app on Roku:

1) Remove the app (Highlight the app, press the Options (*) button on the remote, then Remove)

2) RESTART the Roku (Settings/System/System restart/Restart) <-- MUST DO THIS HERE!!!

3) Re-install the app

(Otherwise, settings/cached data associated with the app are left behind and it wont be a clean re-install)

Jump to solution

I am experience the same thing.  3 dots and back to the main HBO MAX screen. Someone suggested to "remove" the app.  Sorry, but I purchased via Roku and remove is NOT an option.  I need to know what the next step is - as I've tried all the other suggested remedies.  PS..  this worked just fine on all my tv's - I cancelled HBO and then bought it again after a week - it work well, prior to my cancelling on every tv I have,now it won't load on the tv in my bedroom.

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @1023329

Thanks for the post.

We recommend trying the troubleshooting steps provided above since it might help to resolve your issue with HBO Max. For the Remove channel option to show up, you must cancel the subscription first. No worries, you won't be charged again for resubscribing as long as you will do it within the membership's validity date. 

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
rdoyle1978
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am experiencing this same issue; it has been the case for around 3 months now.  I contacted Roku Support and HBO Max support, and both gave me the same troubleshooting steps - then both blamed the other party.

I have 3 Roku:  an Ultra, an Express and a 4k Express.  The Ultra and Express suddenly experienced this issue several months ago.  I have never gotten HBO Max to work again.  I bought a new 4K Express recently, and set it up; and installed HBO Max new.  It STILL does not work.  

Further, I am certain it is not my network configuration, since my LG TV recently updated and I was able to install an HBO Max app.  This works fine.  My phone works fine.  PCs work fine.  it is JUST the Roku.  Can this be escalated?  Clearly there is a larger issue.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@rdoyle1978

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? What exactly are you seeing on screen? What are the steps to reproduce the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
gm123
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you.  This worked for me.  Much appreciated!

0 Kudos
SVP

Jump to solution

I started to experience the same issue on 2 of my Roku 2 devices 1 week ago. Everything was fine before that. Removing/reinstalling did not help. I did factory resent, did not help. Rebooted router, did not help. Tried all suggestions, steps, at least twice, no help. I ended up installing HBO Max app on my smart TV and that worked. However, both Roku devices still do not work with HBO MAx app and I am seeing 3 dots at the bottom of the black screen. 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @SVP,

Thanks for the post.

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're running into! Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. We suggest reaching out to HBO Max support directly to report the issue and for further help. There's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the channel developer.

You can contact them here: HBO Max Support

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos