Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bokonon82
Binge Watcher

HBO Max audio randomly cuts out

Jump to solution

Audio is randomly cutting out ONLY on HBO Max. Currently watching the PBS app without issue. I've had this issue before but it's cutting out longer now. Audio is dropping as long as ten seconds. It's unwatchable.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bokonon82
Binge Watcher

Re: Re: HBO Max audio randomly cuts out

Jump to solution

The only solution I’ve found is a new Apple TV 4K. Fixed the problem 100%!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: HBO Max audio randomly cuts out

Jump to solution

Restart your Roku (Settings/System/System restart/Restart)

Recommendation:  Restart at the start of every viewing session (or once daily).

0 Kudos
bokonon82
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

That doesn't help. First thing I did. Every other channel is fine. It's ONLY HBO Max and this happened before. Right now I'm trying to watch a show and audio cuts out every other second. I could play music to the beat of the audio cutting.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You didnt mention your Roku model # or firmware version (Settings/System/About) or app version (highlight the app and press Options (*) on the remote).

1) Check for updates:  Settings/System/System updates/Check now - try again

2) Remove the app, RESTART Roku (Settings/System/System restart/Restart) <-- MUST DO THIS HERE!!!, Re-install the app - try again

3) Change to stereo output:  Settings/Audio/HDMI=PCM Stereo, Settings/Audio/Audio Mode=Stereo  - try again

0 Kudos
bokonon82
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yeah yeah. Did all this multiple times and it's ONLY one app that I've had this same issue with before on a DIFFERENT device but not my MacBook.

This device is 3811X Roku Streaming Stick+. Software version 10.0.0 build 4209-50

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Your last option - since it only affects HBO Max - is to contact HBO Max (they code and develop and publish the app).

https://help.hbomax.com/us/ContactUs

0 Kudos
Digitalbath1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am experiencing the same issue.  I restarted the network, the Roku.  I even deleted and reinstalled HBO Max and still had sound drop outs on HOTD premier. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @Digitalbath1

Thanks for posting here in the Community!

Does the issue only occur on HBO Max or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Did you restart your Roku before reinstalling the channel? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > reinstall), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
bokonon82
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The only solution I’ve found is a new Apple TV 4K. Fixed the problem 100%!

0 Kudos