Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

HBO on Roku with DirecTV account?

Jump to solution

I think I've read most of the posts about the HBONow app going away.  I'm somewhat past the reasons for it (for now...) but I'm trying to find the best way to be able to stream HBO on my RokuTV.  I am a DirecTV subscriber with HBO - that's how I was accessing HBO on Roku.  Can't do that now.  The HBO app on Roku doesn't offer it either.  I don't have the DirecTV Now (now AT&T TV Now as I understand) for streaming.  So - here's the question: Is there a way to access HBO on Roku, signing in with my DirecTV account?  I can't find one, and I've spent hours looking.  Alternative might be to ditch HBO on DirecTV and sign up on a more neutral app, such as Hulu.  Not at all excited about paying for HBO through DirecTV as I have been, AND paying again to be able to stream it on the RokuTV.  Thanks for any advice (even if it's just bad news...).

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: HBO on Roku with DirecTV account?

Jump to solution

@mcpenn 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that HBO has removed the HBO GO app from our platform. For more information, please reach out to HBO. You can reach HBO here: https://www.hbo.com/about/contact-us

The Roku platform still offers a number of alternative ways for customers to access HBO. Existing HBO users that subscribe through Comcast, Charter or AT&T TV can stream HBO on the Comcast Xfinity Stream, Spectrum TV and AT&T TV channels available on the Roku platform. Additionally, you can access HBO directly on Roku by subscribing to HBO on The Roku Channel.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: This Is Ridiculous

Jump to solution

I had Directv Now which switched to At&t TV. I had the issue with HBO Max on Roku not listing my provider. I followed the directions here all the way at the bottom. 

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1261921/

Basically you dl HBO Max on your phone/computer. Access the app and at the bottom there is a person icon. In there you will be prompted to set up a user id for hbo. Then go into your account setting in the app and set up a password. Once that is done log into hbo max on Roku with that hbo account and password. Worked for me. Good Luck!

16 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: HBO Max on Roku with DirecTV account?

Jump to solution

Literally same. I even tried thru prime. Now I'm trying thru roku. I even tried to cast from my I phone to the TV, but I cant find Direct TV as a provider option in the HBO max ap.... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Well, I hope someone can help us, but I'm not optimistic.  I will probably end up signing up for HBO through Hulu and cancel the DirecTV version.  I don't watch it that much anyway.  The downside is that if I lose internet, I can't access HBO (or the rest of Roku programming), plus, I can't record anything that streams.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

I don't have DirectTV account so I can not verify this but I think you can go to HBO Max on a computer and sign in with a provider.  Once you have signed in you should be able to use your user name and password to sign into HBO app on your Roku device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks @HDMIGuy.  That sounded like a great idea, but it didn't work for me.  Although I could sign on to HBO Max with my DirecTV credentials, when I tried to use the same info to sign on to the Roku HBO app, it didn't recognize me.  I will try again, but will also be interested to see if others have better luck with that suggestion.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

This Is Ridiculous

Jump to solution

Let's not forget: we paid for our Roku devices.  And we pay for our subscription services.  Roku is fast making themselves obsolete and extinct as a Product in my household - and those of many other people as well.  If they can't arrange to be USEFUL to consumers by acting as a neutral bridge between streaming services and our television sets, then what use are they?

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@mcpenn 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that HBO has removed the HBO GO app from our platform. For more information, please reach out to HBO. You can reach HBO here: https://www.hbo.com/about/contact-us

The Roku platform still offers a number of alternative ways for customers to access HBO. Existing HBO users that subscribe through Comcast, Charter or AT&T TV can stream HBO on the Comcast Xfinity Stream, Spectrum TV and AT&T TV channels available on the Roku platform. Additionally, you can access HBO directly on Roku by subscribing to HBO on The Roku Channel.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I had Directv Now which switched to At&t TV. I had the issue with HBO Max on Roku not listing my provider. I followed the directions here all the way at the bottom. 

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1261921/

Basically you dl HBO Max on your phone/computer. Access the app and at the bottom there is a person icon. In there you will be prompted to set up a user id for hbo. Then go into your account setting in the app and set up a password. Once that is done log into hbo max on Roku with that hbo account and password. Worked for me. Good Luck!

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@mcpenn 

Thanks for the post.

Thanks,
Danny

You can also access HBO on Roku by subscribing to HBO Max, you do NOT have to subscribe using the Roku channel.  Same price for HBO Max as HBO on the Roku channel.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks @hmwilson67.  I didn't think your suggestion would work because I didn't have the streaming version of DirecTV/AT&T TV - I have the satellite version.  But I tried it: went to the HBO Max site, which recognized me, I then added a password (which it didn't have previously), went to the HBO channel on Roku (I don't think there's an HBO Max channel, is there?), and used those credentials to log on to the Roku/HBO channel. So - this solved my particular problem.  Thanks again.

@RokuDanny  - please READ THIS. This was the solution you folks should have provided in the first place. Sorry if I sound annoyed, but it makes you and your company look bad when you don't help with a REAL solution to the original question/problem.