Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shatameraw
Level 7

HBO max keeps crashing & option to remove channel not available

MODEL: 3900RW-Roku Express

Serial Number: YGOOF5451916

Device ID: C4395F451916.

What channels and what version/ build are the channels: HBO MAX version 50.13 Build 3

Software version:10.0.0

Build: 4209-51

Issue ID: 16-327-145

HBO max will not play the movies, it stops and returned to the home screen, tried to troubleshoot, and the option to remove channel is not showing, it just shows: move channel, manage subscriptions, check for updates and give us feedback.

7 REPLIES 7\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HBO max keeps crashing & option to remove channel not available

Unfortunately you can't remove a channel if you have an active subscription paid through Roku.  To be honest, I'd recommend cancelling your Roku subscription and subscribing directly through HBO.

One thing you can try is the "clear the cache" routine - press Home on your Roku remote 5 times followed by Up once, Rewind (<<) twice, and FF (>>) twice.  If you do it correctly your Roku will restart on its own after several seconds.  Once it restarts check for updates from Settings->System->System update->Check now.  Let us know how it goes.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

You subscribed to HBO Max through Roku, not directly with HBO or some other 3rd party service.

Use the Manage subscription option to cancel your HBO Max subscription.

The Manage subscription option will then be replaced by the Remove option and you will be able to remove the HBO Max from your account.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking " Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
shatameraw
Level 7

But wouldn't that cancel my subscription? 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@shatameraw

Looks like you're getting a lot of help from the Community users here.

To answer your question, it will cancel the subscription. No worries, as long as your HBO Max membership was renewed within the validity period, you won't be charged immediately upon resubscribing. 

I hope this helps!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Premium subscriptions automatically renew and you are charged again when your prepaid subscription period ends. 

If you cancel during the prepaid subscription period this prevents the renewal when the subscription period ends, but you still have use of the balance of your prepaid subscription period. 

You can resubscribe at that point, either through Roku again or directly with the channel on its website.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking " Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Ragefilledonut
Level 7

I am looking for the same answers. I have reset my router, the Roku, unplugged things. Still terrible results. This has been going on since launch on Roku.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hello @Ragefilledonut

Thanks for posting here in the Community.

Does the issue only occur in HBO Max or across other channels installed on your Roku? If it's just on one channel, removing then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.

• Note: If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before you see the Remove channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.

2. Restart your Roku device: Restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.

3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos