Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ultranova
Level 7

HBO NOW ISSUES

There was a time when I was able to watch HBO NOW using either of my ROKU boxes. I have the LT and the Ultra. Now, I can not use ROKU for HBO NOW. For one thing I keep getting a message that they don't take PayPal. That's nice, I didn't give you any PayPal information. And their online account info for me doesn't seem to be constant, I have to keep re-entering it. 

If I try to add sign on to HBO NOW, ROKU puts me in an endless loop that keeps coming back to "you can't use PayPal". I never asked to use PayPal! It's awful. Their support just pawned me off to HBO Support. They were much more helpful, but I'm afraid the ROKU technology just isn't ready for Prime Time. 

ROKU Support was....well, I think we all have experienced that. HBO NOW tried...they really did, I think I was on the phone for 45 minutes with them and their Second Tier people are going to reach out to me. I even got out the ROKU LT box from my bedroom to see if it would work where the ULTRA failed. Nope, that thing just gave me a black screen instead of HBO NOW. No HBO NOW for me. I downloaded the iOS app for HBO NOW and tried that. ROKU is, unfortunately, the problem.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Streams
Level 7

Re: HBO NOW ISSUES

Is the LT too old for the current version of HBO Now?

I remember having to upgrade one of my Roku's when HBO Go came out.  

Did you try uninstalling the channel, rebooting, updating the Roku software, and reinstalling the HBO Now channel?
0 Kudos
Ultranova
Level 7

Thanks for your input. The LT is just for my bedroom TV. I moved June 1st, so that hasn't even been used until today, so it should work with the ancient pre-digital Magnavox and the Zenith digital-analog converter. The ROKU for my plasma in the living room is the ULTRA, the first version from 2016 that has the optical input (which I don't use at present). 

The HBO folks did have me remove HBO from the ROKU lineup, and then re-install it. The software was addressed too, and it was current. 

I used to watch HBO NOW about 2 years ago using my ROKU and a friends HBO NOW account. My friend moved out of state. I wonder if that has something to do with the issues. But...I've established a new HBO NOW account, and have tried with two different email accounts I maintain, since Cox Communications mail app has a conflict with iOS. Heck, even Cox technicians have told me to just use the webmail version and not the actual app. So we tried my gmail account. Nothin' I want to throw it in the garbage. 
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

To properly reinstall an app on Roku, you must follow this process:

1. Remove the app

2. Reboot the Roku

3. Reinstall the app
If you omit any step, then it's not a full and accurate reinstallation.

Did you do all three steps in that order?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos