Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: HBO MAX question

Jump to solution

Using my computer and log-in to my Roku account, I tried the suggested method of "add a channel with a code" and inserted both HBO MAX and HBOMAX.  Both times, I received the error message:  "The channel code provided is associated with a channel not available in your region."  

If anyone else has a backdoor suggestion, we're all ears.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have been with Roku since my Roku XDS days (TEN YEARS!).  This morning I am researching and buying a different streaming box.  I don't have HBOMax through a middleman service like Hulu. I want an app for the service I directly load. This is normal, and better.

Roku used to be an open platform. That there are negotiations, at all, for a major streaming service to be 'allowed' on my Roku box is highly offensive. Roku has grown arrogant.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Its available on Google platforms , what are you talking about?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes, the HBONow customers were converted to HBOMax customers. On Android devices, you update the Now app and it becomes HBOMax.  There are Android streaming boxes that have the HBOMax app. So, I'm buying my first Android streaming box. It can run a range of other Android apps, including web browsers... a gazillion times more functional than a Roku box. Roku REALLY miscalculated in not allowing a major streaming service on its platform on Day One.

I'm sheltering in place. I have a huge incentive to want HBOMax now, and I have all the time in the world to research how to get it. And best of all, Roku can look at my account history and realize I'm not some HBO shill. I've been a Roku user for 10 frickin' years. I hope they take this to heart, step outside their bubble, relieve themselves of their arrogance, and become a service-neutral platform.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

You are totally right! And I never thought about that. I cancelled HBO Now to take advantage of the pre-order special for Max, and now that savings will be wiped out if I'm paying for content I can't access. I hate that I'm paying some suit's salary for such a lame product launch.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Maybe I am facing user error, but not only do I not have HBO Max on my ROKU devices, but since I had paid for HBO Now through Roku I am unable to create a standalone account with HBO, and any other device that supports HBO Max will not work because of the ROKU account.  When I try on a non ROKU device or directly on HBO to create a new account it says my email address already exists, with an account that doesnt support it.  So not only am I unable to watch on a Roku, but I cant create any account with HBO Max unless I create a burner email address.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@sjwahoo wrote:

Maybe I am facing user error, but not only do I not have HBO Max on my ROKU devices, but since I had paid for HBO Now through Roku I am unable to create a standalone account with HBO, and any other device that supports HBO Max will not work because of the ROKU account.  When I try on a non ROKU device or directly on HBO to create a new account it says my email address already exists, with an account that doesnt support it.  So not only am I unable to watch on a Roku, but I cant create any account with HBO Max unless I create a burner email address.

Just cancel your HBO Now subscription with Roku and then sign up directly with HBO Max. Which you did miss out on the deal they had that you save $3 per month for the whole year if you preordered.

Which it's only a matter of time before Max is available on Roku. So now you can just use the account on another device when you sign up directly with Max. Which I ended up having to get a Chromecast Ultra, which I used my points on my credit card so I only had to pay the remaining balance which was $12 including with overnight shipping when it's normally $73 in total (which I probably wouldn't have done it if I have to pay the full price). I would say that the Chromecast is definitely a great backup device, but definitely not my first choice. I prefer to scroll through the interface with a remote on the TV, rather than on my phone and then just putting it on the TV. So I'll deal with it until Roku has the official channel available.

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

The parents are fighting in front of the kids. We just have to let them work it out.

HBO Max’s 80 Million Household Dead Spot: Why Streamer Isn’t on Roku or Amazon Fire TV 

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

Not really. Just tried getting it through YouTubeTV and that gives you all the HBO live channels but to get Max content, you have to download the HBO Max app and login. And, as there's no HBO Max app on Roku, that means the subscription on YouTubeTv is, essentially, useless. And I'm guessing subscribing through Hulu is going to provide the same issue. So that means HBO has now made themselves a bit player in the streaming world.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@ForYourInfo wrote:

On Wednesday May 27 2020 After 3am Est try logging into you roku account on a computer. The select My Account from the pull down menu.

Then under Manage Account select Add channel with a code.
The input either HBO MAX with a space or HBOMAX without a space in the box labeled channel access code.

The click Add Channel and follow the prompts. 

The channel code provided is associated with a channel not available in your region.

How did it work for you?

0 Kudos