Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: HBO MAX question

Jump to solution

NOT available on ROKU as of 8:30 am EST

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

This is an update to my earlier post from last night. To their credit the HBO Max app is in the Apple iPhone App Store and Google Play. I've downloaded it from both, signed in and browsed around extensively.

Spent about 90 minutes this morning scrolling through every movie and series listed A-Z. I didn't take notes but my general impression was that movie wise content was about 50/50 what HBO already had and the rest was added Warner Brothers. On the series side, just looking at titles, it was maybe 70/30 HBO vs what was added like Friends, The Big Bang Theory, various CNN series, etc.

Overall not that impressive, but I'm sure they'll add content over time. One nice feature I found was there is finally a way to have profiles for separate users so that's nice.

As to cost, if you signed up to get word about when HBO Max would be available they sent an email offer for $11.99/month for the first 12 months ($14.99/month thereafter). Unfortunately it expired yesterday, but they'll probably run the promotion again. Assuming they do run it again, to take advantage use a different email from your current HBO Now account to sign up and don't forget to cancel your HBO Now. I'm going to have both accounts for about 2 weeks which is a bit of a waste, but it'll pay off over time with the $36 annual savings.

Hope some of the above is helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Well my HBO now is actually HBO max on my phone but on my Roku it's still HBO now. 

Going to cancel. Glad I decided to wait to cancel Netflix

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Called to cancel, no Roku no deal. Just signed up 2 days ago so asked for refund of first month. Rep said can’t do that don’t know how. When I insisted said someone would get back to me via email. What a circle jerk but not surprising with ATT at the helm.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Sadly, we have unwittingly allowed companies like Roku to become our new cable companySmiley Sad.

If companies like Roku are going to be able to determine what we get to watch, they should be regulated just like the cable companies.

I purchased my Roku devices because of the vast number of channels available on them. In the last few years, I have learned that Roku has way too much influence on what I can and cannot watch.

Perhaps it is time for an opensource supported option that eliminates middlemen like Roku.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm in the No Roku No HBO Max camp. Everything I've read makes it appear that Roku is the hold out "waiting for a better deal". Honestly, I don't care who's fault it is I just want it resolved. I'll give them till the end of the week to see if we get anything from Roku indicating a change. Otherwise, I'll be canceling my sub. The reason I purchased Roku is for ease of use for my family. Yes, I can cast content and load up Android boxes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I agree completely with the frustration of Roku taking on the approach of restricting access to anything they can't get their cut of the subscription.  Roku is a streaming device, not a content provider.  They don't have a product without the streaming services.

Most of my streaming service subscriptions were directly through Roku, just because that was an easy way to sign up directly through the device.  With the HBO Max example of how they're milking customers out of each service, I'm not going to support that approach.  I just cancelled all of my Roku managed subscriptions.  I'll renew the ones I want to directly through streaming service providers from now on (though I won't be renewing HBO Now, until they offer Max on Roku.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Anyone that signed up (I did 2 weeks ago) should be able to get their money back! It was very clear that you'd get Now and be converted to Max on 27th. All I have are Rokus and old TVs. Not going to pay the discounted price to watch on my phone! Having to pay $12 for something you didn't order is a scam! If it comes to Roku next month, you've wiped out your discount for the year! I would have waited until it was available and paid price when available. 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I wholeheartily agree with this. The trend of TVs made today being smart and built in fire tv, Roku, etc is asking for monopoly and headaches. We need to refuse these branded distribution TVs and go for add-on internet or android only devices. EVERY device should come with built in browser. I was able to use silk browser on fire TV to login HBO and play previews, but it wouldn't play main video due to hbomax.onelink.com redirection page with result of sources not found..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
Spoiler
(A mis-click, not a spoiler. Oops.)

This is pretty black and white for me. Roku is a streaming appliance. Yes, it's a very good appliance, but there's nothing unique about it that locks me into Roku. HBO Max, on the other hand, offers unique content that I want, content I'm already paying for.

Bottom line: if I have to pick one or the other, I will replace my Rokus with different appliances. Roku's value is greatly diminished when it cannot support a major streaming option like HBO Max.

Fix this, Roku. Fix this now!