Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: HBO MAX question

Jump to solution

I've been a loyal Roku user for over a decade. It's easy to use and setup... and they finally got the YouTube app after so many years without...   But if I end up buying a pricey $150 Apple TV device this weekend just so I can watch HBO Max, then how realistic is it that I'll ever return to Roku?  

Very disappointed.   In the interim, I'll log onto the hbomax web site and browse, and add to my watchlist, etc.  But I'll also be budgeting for an Apple TV and just double-checking that they do also have the apps for Hulu, Netflix, Prime, HBO max, YouTube.

No, I'm not a gamer, hence no Playstation, Xbox, etc.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Give it a couple years, once all the content owners get their intellectual property back and it isn't licensed anywhere else you'll be paying the same for streaming as cable costs now. During launch there's  competition for as many subscribers as possible to satisfy investors. Once all the content comes home the margins will begin decreasing and that will be the catalyst for prices to rise to whatever level is necessary to boost shares and increase profit. It is far and away the easiest thing to do and if you want to watch the content you'll pay whatever they decide you will.. It was good while it lasted, and who knows maybe I'm wrong and we'll keep getting exclusive content for pennies, but a basic understanding of economics would lead one to think otherwise. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

This is absolutely ridiculous.

No Roku, no Google play, no firestick.

I'm not buying an additional platform just to use HBOMax. They are going to get torn to shreds for this.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have a Samsung Galaxy S 20 and I also have a 2019 Samsung television with Smart Hub , both of those are switched over to HBO Max. There is no HBO Now.... it replaced it. This is not the case for my Roku, I have tested three of them and they are all still HBO now...

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

It took over an hour and a half after said time that it was supposed to be. Disney plus was hours early for me. Disney plus also worked on all of my platforms. HBO just likes to fight with people lol this isn't cable HBO come on

@Wocbi wrote:

I have a Samsung Galaxy S 20 and I also have a 2019 Samsung television with Smart Hub , both of those are switched over to HBO Max. There is no HBO Now.... it replaced it. This is not the case for my Roku, I have tested three of them and they are all still HBO now...

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Had to update the HBO Now app on my iPhone. It’s now MAX. Tried to update Now on my Roku. No dice. What a disappointment. 

I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who assumed if we had HBO Now we would have to problems accessing MAX after launch. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thankfully I still have the box my new Roku TV came in from Best Buy last week.

That will be going back and HBO Max 1 year subscription cancelled.

Pulled the new page up on my pc where I CAN watch HBO Max and will clearly not be missing anything of value or importance.

PLONK

What a joke.  The only thing these companies listen to is the sound of money being sucked out of their very huge wallets.  Speak with your money.

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

Extremely disappointed both HBO and Roku are playing these games. Once upon a time Roku used to be the place to go for streaming. Now, it's as bad as the cable carriers and the endless negotiations. 

I'll most likely cancel HBO NOW, and not bother with it in the future. And if you think this is a win for Roku, it isn't. Because that's one less person who is using the HBO Max app on the devices if two companies ever get their act together. 

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Well - I won’t cancel HBO Max over this. Instead, I am plugging back in my Apple TV. The apps I watch now I will change billing from my Roku to the Apple TV. Roku will lose out. 

Don’t not watch content because of Roku being greedy and demanding advertising slots, subscriber portions and other things. 

Even if you have a Roku TV, you can most likely plug in another device like an Apple TV and change over. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Just canceled this morning as HBOMAX is NOT available via Roku