Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: HBO MAX question

Jump to solution

I literally just got an email directly from HBO Max (I signed up a few days ago) that says the following:

"WarnerMedia's new streaming platform, HBO Max, is available on Wednesday!

We want you to have access to your favorite shows and movies — see below for all the ways you can stream HBO Max starting tomorrow. You may have a device that doesn't support HBO Max. We're working to add even more ways you can access our platform, so stay tuned for updates.

Here's where you can stream HBO Max Wednesday morning:

• Android phones and tablets
  • Android TV (including most Sony Android TVs, 2016 models and later)
  • Apple TV (4th generation and later)
  • Web (at HBOMax.com)
  • Google Chromecast
  • Chromebooks
  • iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
  • PlayStation 4
  • Samsung TV (2016 models and later)
  • Xbox One

If you don't have the HBO Max app, open the app store on any supported device, search for HBO Max, and install the app. Once installed, open HBO Max and sign in using your HBO NOW email and password. Then, you can stream HBO plus SO much more."

Nowhere in there does it say anything about Roku. So it doesn't matter what any previous articles have to say, because that email was sent to me at 11:01 p.m. EST directly from the company itself, and it doesn't say anything about the service being offered on Roku at launch.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I'm sure it will be on Roku eventually. Probably sooner rather than later (I would imagine.) If you have a PS4 or XBOX One, use either of those devices in the meantime. 

I wouldn't panic yet. I think I saw google chromecast will work too. Those are temporary fixes until a deal is struck with Roku.

When Disney+ went live there were all sorts of issues.  I wouldn't expect it to hit the ground running at 12am tonight anyways.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@hb_whiteman wrote:

I wouldn't expect it to hit the ground running at 12am tonight anyways.  

I think I saw 3AM EDT as the go live time.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: HBO Max?

Jump to solution

@itsizzi wrote:

Okay Roku! Time to stop the last minute  "will they or won't they" gamesmanship with HBO Max -it sucks for your users!  You need to post something -even if it's just to say you don't know. You have millions of users who want to know ...are you or aren't you going to offer access?!!

See the update below from someone that signed up for HBO Max a few days ago. It looks like the answer is 'won't they' on HBO Max on Roku at launch.

HBO Max available platforms at launch

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

We already have HBO now and paid for HBO max at the 11.99 price. Roku better be carrying this app because if not and I have to add it to YTTV and pay yet again I will not be happy. Initially they said HBO now will be switching over but apparently that is not so.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Don't waste money on the add-ons if you've already subscribed through HBO Max, or thinking it bypasses the "not on Roku" problem. The YTTV/Hulu add-ons still won't get you HBO Max content in those apps; they get you the right to ACCESS that content. Those add-ons will give you regular HBO content through their apps (the same stuff already on HBO Now...now), and then you'll also be able to log onto HBO Max using your credentials from Hulu/YTTV to access their content. BUT you'll still only be able to do so directly through HBO Max. So until Roku/AT&T make a deal and an HBO Max app becomes available on Roku, there is no way to access the "Max" portion of HBO Max's content (that is, the non-HBO stuff: Friends, Big Bang Theory, Rick & Morty, Fresh Prince etc.) on Roku at all. That will have to be done on other devices until a deal is struck. I do expect a deal to happen very soon, but until then, I'm just glad I have a PS4.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@kcdaf40 wrote:

We already have HBO now and paid for HBO max at the 11.99 price. Roku better be carrying this app because if not and I have to add it to YTTV and pay yet again I will not be happy. Initially they said HBO now will be switching over but apparently that is not so.

I think a deal will be struck with Roku at some point. Technically your HBO NOW subscription will upgrade/switch to HBO Max on Wednesday. You just can not access the Max portion of HBO Max on a Roku device on Wednesday.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

On the East Coast, maybe. But I'm on the West Coast & it is supposed to go live here at 12am PST.

But I won't get on it until tomorrow evening anyways. I am hoping for a last minute deal with Roku though. Especially after buying a new 50" 4K HDR TCL Roku TV last week. Lol

@blade_005 wrote:

@hb_whiteman wrote:

I wouldn't expect it to hit the ground running at 12am tonight anyways.  

I think I saw 3AM EDT as the go live time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Wonder who the dummy is over at HBO that said "Hey! Let's come up with a new streaming service. We'll call it HBO Max and make sure no one can access it at rollout." Sure sounds like someone over there needs to lose their job.

So....

No Roku app

No Amazon Fire app

No Apple iPhone app

No Google Play Android app

I have all 4 devices above, an apparently useless HBO Max account, and no CONVENIENT way to access content. Who wants to rig their laptop or use Chromecast (which I have - somewhere - and detest)? Talk about poor project management planning.

Thanks HBO Max. The MAX means maximum frustration.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’m literally so bummed about this! I have Roku on all my TVs and currently stream hbo now. I was excited to be able to access hbo max , but if that’s not the case I will just have to unsubscribe.  🙄