Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: HBO MAX question

Jump to solution

@mhubbard58 wrote:

We subscribe to HBO through our cable subscriber, since it provides HBO Go, which allows four separate user log ons and profiles.  This allows four households to use the one HBO Go account.  And each household can link to their own Roku.  Starting May 27, this is no longer supported under HBO Go, but supposedly (per our cable provided) is supported on HBO Max.  But HBO Max isn't on the Roku.

I don't think all cable providers supported multiple profiles on HBO GO.

But, it sure seems like AT&T is determined to drive everyone to a HBO Max subscription on day one of the launch, whether that excludes you from watching it on your preferred streaming device. They will count you as a HBO Max subscriber for the investors whether you can watch any of the 'Max' part of the content or not!!

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Even if my cable provider put an app in my cable box, that doesn't help my daughters watch it at their house, as they don't have cable.

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Infensus wrote:

The great thing about streaming is that you aren’t tied to one service or device. 

if Roku can’t get a deal with AT&T, then you can get an Apple TV (doesn’t need to be latest and 4K), and still watch HBO Max. 

Seems Roku is having more and more issues signing agreements of late. Can’t always be the app owners at fault.  Wonder what kind of advertising requirements and subscription fees Roku is pushing. 

It is not just Roku. Roku and Amazon, two of the biggest streaming platforms, don't have standalone distribution agreements for HBO Max at launch.

I have three (3) Roku TV's with three (3) Fire TV Stick 4K devices plugged into each. I figured that would cover me for these 'hissy fits' that both content creators and content streamers seem to go through a couple of times a year over how to share revenue from the lowly pawns (you and me) in their game of greed. I guess I was wrong.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

This has to be the worst launch ever.  Both sides are to blame.  Each is waiting for the other to blink and their customers are the ones to lose..  

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

On Wednesday May 27 2020 After 3am Est try logging into you roku account on a computer. The select My Account from the pull down menu.

Then under Manage Account select Add channel with a code.
The input either HBO MAX with a space or HBOMAX without a space in the box labeled channel access code.

The click Add Channel and follow the prompts. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

read this.  this will solve your problems

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/what-is-hbo-max/

It states here:

What platforms will HBO Max be available on?

At launch, HBO Max will be free for AT&T customers who are already subscribed to HBO. AT&T customers with some newer unlimited plans will also gain free access to HBO Max, which will be available on most streaming platforms, including Apple TV, Roku, and even YouTube TV. It will not, however, be immediately available on the Amazon Fire Stick.

NOTE ROKU Listed...  the only one that it won't be available on is Amazon Fire Stick.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

let me rephraseScreen Shot 2020-05-26 at 10.18.00 PM.png

It does say ROKU .  this is from https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/what-is-hbo-max/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I saw an article that was published about 4 hours ago. It said that a deal still has not been reached to put it on Roku devices. If it’s not on Roku at launch I will start streaming on something else

A62D8ABE-5B49-4DFE-A64E-0B2961F1BD70.png

FA66B35F-90F1-4C41-94DC-7B65C0E2450B.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I guess we'll find out in a few hours. 

"HBO NOW subscribers who are billed directly through HBO will get instant access to HBO Max from WarnerMedia when it launches on May 27, 2020 (at no extra cost)."

I signed up for Max through HBO site (billed through Warner Media). I expect my Now to contain all Max content starting tomorrow (on my Roku Now app!). If not I expect my $13 to be refunded. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Tcat007 wrote:

I guess we'll find out in a few hours. 

"HBO NOW subscribers who are billed directly through HBO will get instant access to HBO Max from WarnerMedia when it launches on May 27, 2020 (at no extra cost)."

I signed up for Max through HBO site (billed through Warner Media). I expect my Now to contain all Max content starting tomorrow (on my Roku Now app!). If not I expect my $13 to be refunded. 

I hope you are correct and that there is a HBO Max app available on Roku starting tomorrow. But, that statement above doesn't guarantee what platforms you will have access to HBO Max on. It states that if you have HBO NOW billed directly today, you will have HBO Max tomorrow. It just may not be on a Roku device. An apple device? Sure. A PC Web Browser? Sure. A Roku device? Maybe not. A Fire TV device? Probably not.

0 Kudos