Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chaz22
Level 7

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

I was in the market for a new TV and specifically chose a Sony model with Android TV built in.  Now I get HBO Max via the Google store  

I’m a long term Roku customer but I will not be held hostage to their contempt for users.  I bought the Roku as a platform agnostic deliverer of streaming content.  They have failed to uphold their end of the bargain.  I have a Fire Stick too.  If any of these streaming devices decides to use me as a hostage to cut a better deal with the streamers, I’m leaving their platform.   We all have choices and I am choosing to change my streaming platform choice. Bye Roku. 

jlanzy
Level 9

Jump to solution

I love my roku ultra, I also have 3 tivo roamios which I use only for recording non streaming cable shows. There is nothing I have to see on HBO Max that I don't get on hbo app.  My plan is that once hbo max does have a 'must watch' program that I'd likely get the tivo 4K stream stick that does have hbo max if roku still doesn't have it.  I'm not keen on getting another streaming device since I really like the roku platform but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. Sooner or later they will put their big boy pants on and settle this.

0 Kudos
vermontster1
Level 7

Update status on HBO Max app on ROKU

Jump to solution

Still waiting to access HBO Max on ROKU. Several posts suggest watching on mobile device and casting to TV. Would be much better and possibly less expensive if one didn't have to purchase additional equipment to do this. ROKU - just give us current status. Your silence is deafening. 

JasonBrown
Level 8

Jump to solution

HBO now doesnt work with current HBO subscriptions. as a result of Roku trying to force unfair content deals from TimeWarner, I'm about to buy 4 new TVs this Christmas that do not use the Roku platform. Sadly because i liked it, but I will not lose access to stuff i pay for because of platform wars. 

JasonBrown
Level 8

Re: HBO Now/HBO Max

Jump to solution

They have. The reason you cannot get HBOmax on Roku is because Roku is trying to force TimeWarner into an agreement to allow them to pass through content as if it is their own. As a result, if this isnt fixed i place access to content i'm already paying for over the platform. I buy 4 TVs a year at Christmas Time and upgrade passing my others off. Last year one of those platforms was a TCL Roku which i loved until July. Now I will move away from them getting both cleaner access to bluetooth again and back to a platform who understands their role in distribution. Very sad that they cannot fix this. 

DarthDagger
Level 9

Jump to solution

@JasonBrown it isn’t sad it’s pathetic, does Roku really think they can beat the content owners? This dispute will be their undoing mark my words. It will soon be 6 months since the dispute started, an eternity in terms of competitors positioning to take advantage of Roku’s short sighted self absorbed self righteous BS. I can buy a generic android device today that does everything Roku does, soon we will all be looking back and shaking our heads at this failure while watching HBO Max on the next gen devices that do not have the word Roku on them. 

JasonBrown
Level 8

Jump to solution

That is a fact. I have sold my Roku stock and this is making my buying decisions for me. I will not invest in a platform who limits my provider access. 

kc_TX
Level 7

Re: Update status on HBO Max app on ROKU

Jump to solution

I completely agree. They either need to make the agreement with HBO. Roku doesn't mind charging us the same price as Max for much less content. REALLY RIDICULOUS!!

inspectre27
Level 7

Jump to solution

I assumed Roku would have HBO Max access before I bought the thing last week, seeing as how every other device/service has Max access.  Much to my chagrin, I discovered that my expensive Max account is useless on this device.  Needless to say, I'm a bit miffed.  Glad I only got a refurb and didn't pay full price for this (tiny) brick.

rhsauer
Level 8

Jump to solution

HBO Max works really well over Airplay, if your Roku device has upgraded to version 9.4 of the OS and has Airplay capabilities.

0 Kudos