Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: HBO Max?

Jump to solution

First look at HBO Max interface.

Here’s what HBO Max looks like 

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: HBO MAX question

Jump to solution

@blade_005 wrote:

@Bigj011p 

Thanks for posting what you received from HULU on HBO add-on. That is one confusing announcement. Basically, let your HULU HBO add-on upgrade to HBO Max, but you won't get any of the 'Max' part of HBO Max unless you install a standalone version of the HBO Max app and use your HULU credentials to log in. Isn't that the kind of separate apps and billing gymnastics we are trying to avoid by using one centralized billing and UI?

Oh yea. And if an agreement between Roku and AT&T is not reached by the May 27th launch, does that mean your HULU HBO add-on on Roku will upgrade you to HBO Max which will require a standalone version of HBO Max to be installed to access the 'Max' portion, which will not be available on the Roku platform to install? SIGH....

You still will only get one bill and that will not change. Max is more trying to be like Netflix and Disney+, not the way it was designed before to only carry what's on TV and then also have it in other places such as cable provider VOD, Amazon, Hulu etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Ku wrote:

According to Digital Trends 

What is HBO Max?
By Nick Perry
May 20, 2020

At launch, HBO Max will be free for AT&T customers who are already subscribed to HBO. AT&T customers with some newer unlimited plans will also gain free access to HBO Max, which will be available on most streaming platforms, including Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, and even YouTube TV.

I might end up having to go buy a fire stick but I'm expecting to launch. 

First of all this is wrong information and you can do your own Google research now. The fire stick is not going to have HBO Max at all as of this typing. YouTube TV is going to require the same thing for you to use a standalone app and Roku well you know the deal already. The only similar comparison would be a Chromecast what Chromecast Ultra which supports 4K and HDR.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

You still will only get one bill and that will not change. Max is more trying to be like Netflix and Disney plus not the way it was designed before to Carrie what's on TV only and then also have it in other places such as cable provider VOD, Amazon Hulu etc.

I get that. I just don't like it!!  Smiley Happy

I have gotten spoiled to using Prime Video channels for supported add-on services (HBO NOW, CBS All Access, EPIX, Acorn TV, BritBox, Mhz Choice, PBS Masterpiece, etc.) and having them all under one User Interface and not chasing apps all over the Home Screen to watch the NEXT episode for content across multiple streaming services.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

My cable provided sent an email today saying that starting May 27, HBO Go will be limited to one profile, whereas it used to support four profiles.  They said I have to change to HBO Max to get the four profiles we use now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@itsizzi wrote:

Ditto on cancelling. I signed up with the pre-order special and currently access it through ROKU HBO Now, with the understanding it will swap to Max on the 27th. If not, I cancel. I'm pretty much tired of this last minute gamesmanship between vendors -it sucks for consumers. HBO isn't the Holy Grail. I've already got more streaming options than I even use, one less won't matter all that much.

You can thank HBO's parent company and owner AT&T for this blunder of not having it on Roku and Firesticks.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

We subscribe to HBO through our cable subscriber, since it provides HBO Go, which allows four separate user log ons and profiles.  This allows four households to use the one HBO Go account.  And each household can link to their own Roku.  Starting May 27, this is no longer supported under HBO Go, but supposedly (per our cable provided) is supported on HBO Max.  But HBO Max isn't on the Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@blade_005 wrote:

You still will only get one bill and that will not change. Max is more trying to be like Netflix and Disney plus not the way it was designed before to Carrie what's on TV only and then also have it in other places such as cable provider VOD, Amazon Hulu etc.

I get that. I just don't like it!!  Smiley Happy

I have gotten spoiled to using Prime Video channels for supported add-on services (HBO NOW, CBS All Access, EPIX, Acorn TV, BritBox, Mhz Choice, PBS Masterpiece, etc.) and having them all under one User Interface and not chasing apps all over the Home Screen to watch the NEXT episode for content across multiple streaming services.

I completely get what you're saying, and I have thought about having all of it in one interface. Which I'm not going to make a big deal about not having Max in one interface lol.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@mhubbard58 wrote:

We subscribe to HBO through our cable subscriber, since it provides HBO Go, which allows four separate user log ons and profiles.  This allows four households to use the one HBO Go account.  And each household can link to their own Roku.  Starting May 27, this is no longer supported under HBO Go, but supposedly (per our cable provided) is supported on HBO Max.  But HBO Max isn't on the Roku.

The way I think about it. Ufortunately it's like a catch-22 because they give you access to Max. Then the problem is that the device you want to use it with doesn't support it, so you really can't access it.

Also what cable provider do you have? Because your cable provider could provide a standalone app inside the set top box.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

The great thing about streaming is that you aren’t tied to one service or device. 

if Roku can’t get a deal with AT&T, then you can get an Apple TV (doesn’t need to be latest and 4K), and still watch HBO Max. 

Seems Roku is having more and more issues signing agreements of late. Can’t always be the app owners at fault.  Wonder what kind of advertising requirements and subscription fees Roku is pushing.