Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: HBO MAX question

Jump to solution

@hb_whiteman 

Article published this afternoon that still notes Roku and Amazon as two distribution platforms NOT on board with HBO Max.

HBO Max is full of potential, but its biggest hurdle remains AT&T’s messy execution 

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yeah, I saw that too. But saw others saying Roku was one of the devices that will carry it. 

Thanks for the reply! I'll just have to use XBOX One or PS4 for now. 👍

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Literally the only reason we bought our Roku stick was to be able to watch HBO Go, since our LG TV WebOS doesn't have an HBO Go app.  So if Roku doesn't offer HBO Max, then we have no way of accessing our HBO content aside from what is on TV live.  That is not much incentive to keep paying for HBO. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I think HBO Go will still be available on Roku. Even HBO Now on Roku devices will stay from what I understand (unless I read it wrong, but I don't think I did).

Somebody above posted a link to an article. Check it out. Hopefully it helps. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

What's the point of launching HBO Max if you can't watch it on anything? I have Roku Ultras on all my TVs, watching thru HBO Now currently.  I was under the impression that Now would either carry all Max content or a new Max app would be available. If not, $13 is all they're getting from me!

Edit: I noticed on the hbomax site:

"HBO NOW subscribers who are billed directly through HBO will get instant access to HBO Max from WarnerMedia when it launches on May 27, 2020 (at no extra cost)."

I guess that means the Roku HBO Now app should have all content.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

According to Cnet, You will be able to view HBO Max on any Iphone, or Android phone, Ipad, or laptop.  I am pre-ordering, and just using the Screen Mirroring feature with Roku to show HBO Max if an agreements isn't reached soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Tcat007 wrote:

What's the point of launching HBO Max if you can't watch it on anything? I have Roku Ultras on all my TVs, watching thru HBO Now currently.  I was under the impression that Now would either carry all Max content or a new Max app would be available. If not, $13 is all they're getting from me!

Edit: I noticed on the hbomax site:

"HBO NOW subscribers who are billed directly through HBO will get instant access to HBO Max from WarnerMedia when it launches on May 27, 2020 (at no extra cost)."

I guess that means the Roku HBO Now app should have all content.

1. I feel your frustration on the 'will they or won't they' offer HBO Max directly on Roku.
  2. 60 million subscribers to HBO get it through a cable provider. If the cable provider inked an agreement to offer HBO Max with AT&T, all of those customers will have access through their cable box.
  3. The HBO Max site information you noted only states that an HBO NOW customer will get HBO Max at no extra cost. It does not specifically say on a Roku device on launch day. You may have access to HBO Max content starting tomorrow, but you may have to access it from something other than a Roku device. (i.e. Web Browser).
TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Didn't think there were any cable customers left 🤣

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Tcat007 wrote:

Didn't think there were any cable customers left 🤣

You would think that based on new articles. Sounds like only a handful of cable customers are remaining.

Last numbers I read were 60 million HBO subscribers in the US get it through some form of cable subscription package. 8 million HBO subscribers are through the standalone HBO NOW offering. I guess we can see where AT&T's focus is on launch day.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

First look at HBO Max interface.

Here’s what HBO Max looks like 

0 Kudos