Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: HBO MAX question

Jump to solution

I dont think HBOMax will be available anytime soon separately on Roku platform, it will be available as HULU, YoutubeTV addon

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/hbo-max-roku-fire-tv

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Went ahead and did the pre-order special offer on HBO Max. However, if there's no Roku app for it in the first month, I'll be cancelling.

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@ameyajoe wrote:

I dont think HBOMax will be available anytime soon separately on Roku platform, it will be available as HULU, YoutubeTV addon

Well Hulu would like you to download the app separately and then just log in with your Hulu credentials. Also if you're a Hulu subscriber with the HBO add-on, then you should've gotten an email from Hulu telling you this, which I attached a photo of the graphic with the text that Hulu sent me an email. The reason for this is because not everything on Max is going to be available on Hulu, I believe only the HBO shows and movies that are playing on the TV channel. So stuff like Friends, South Park that comes in June, Fresh Prince, other third-party license content, Max Originals, Studio Ghibli, Crunchyroll, classics curated by TCM etc. Pretty much all the HBO content that's on Hulu now is going to remain the same with really no addition or removal of content.

20200525_121919.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@ameyajoe wrote:

Also as of 5 days ago there was reports that Roku was talking with HBO's parent company and owner AT&T to get a deal done. So there probably is a good chance that Max will eventually come to the platform very soon. Also Roku had a dispute with AT&T for the AT&T TV Now channel since January of this year. Which they just added that channel back last week to Roku. So they're definitely making progress with AT&T and it seems like they are trying to get something done, it's just a matter of when it gets done and if they can even come to an agreement.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Bigj011p 

Thanks for posting what you received from HULU on HBO add-on. That is one confusing announcement. Basically, let your HULU HBO add-on upgrade to HBO Max, but you won't get any of the 'Max' part of HBO Max unless you install a standalone version of the HBO Max app and use your HULU credentials to log in. Isn't that the kind of separate apps and billing gymnastics we are trying to avoid by using one centralized billing and UI?

Oh yea. And if an agreement between Roku and AT&T is not reached by the May 27th launch, does that mean your HULU HBO add-on on Roku will upgrade you to HBO Max which will require a standalone version of HBO Max to be installed to access the 'Max' portion, which will not be available on the Roku platform to install? SIGH....

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Ditto on cancelling. I signed up with the pre-order special and currently access it through ROKU HBO Now, with the understanding it will swap to Max on the 27th. If not, I cancel. I'm pretty much tired of this last minute gamesmanship between vendors -it sucks for consumers. HBO isn't the Holy Grail. I've already got more streaming options than I even use, one less won't matter all that much.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

According to Digital Trends 

What is HBO Max?
By Nick Perry
May 20, 2020

At launch, HBO Max will be free for AT&T customers who are already subscribed to HBO. AT&T customers with some newer unlimited plans will also gain free access to HBO Max, which will be available on most streaming platforms, including Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, and even YouTube TV.

I might end up having to go buy a fire stick but I'm expecting to launch. 

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Ku wrote:

According to Digital Trends 

What is HBO Max?
By Nick Perry
May 20, 2020

At launch, HBO Max will be free for AT&T customers who are already subscribed to HBO. AT&T customers with some newer unlimited plans will also gain free access to HBO Max, which will be available on most streaming platforms, including Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, and even YouTube TV.

I might end up having to go buy a fire stick but I'm expecting to launch. 

@Ku 

Nick Perry needs to check his/her facts.

HBO Max does not have distribution agreements with Roku or Amazon as of today. There are some add-on deals done (HULU, YouTube TV, etc.) that might run on a Roku or Fire TV device, but there isn't a standalone HBO Max or a direct Video Channel distribution deal with Roku or Amazon with the launch date set for Wednesday, May 27th.

I currently have Roku TV's with Fire TV Stick devices as alternative option and neither will provide access to HBO Max as a standalone app or through their Video Channels offering as of today.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: HBO Max?

Jump to solution

They don't, Artists are NEVER good at strategic planning. They want to max out pricing for the least amount in catalog. It was IRRESPONSIBLE to launch it before a partnership with top two streaming devices. But sounds as though BHO wanted to hang onto every SINGLE penny and think they are powerful enough to do so. But without access via Roku & Fire TV, they have NOTHING, NADA, SQUAT! BHO Max is nothing if people are forced to use Apple device or PC browser only.

I get where you are coming from and feel the same level of frustration.

But, HBO has about 60 million subscribers in the US through a cable provider and about 8 Million via a standalone HBO NOW subscription. All of those cable subscribers that have struck deals with AT&T to upgrade customers from HBO to HBO Max will get it through their cable box. It still isn't right that us standalone customers are left as pawns in their game of who is the most greedy, but there it is.

I have three (3) Roku TV's with three (3) Fire TV Stick 4K devices attached to them. As of tomorrow none of them will have access to HBO Max via a standalone app or Video Channel subscription.

Gordon Gekko said: 'Greed, for lack of a better word, is good.

Just not for us lowly pawns in the game...

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

HBO Max goes live in a matter of hours. Are there any new updates regarding its availability on Roku at launch? Seeing conflicting articles.

0 Kudos