Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: HBO MAX question

Jump to solution

I did the same thing with the same assumptions and now, it turns out, HBO Max for those of us using Roku doesn't really exist. So, I'm going to pay the same amount each month for half the content? No flipping way. As soon as I found this out I canceled HBO Max on YouTube TV. Seems HBO has a vastly overblown sense of just how important its content is to think it can play by different rules from all the other streaming providers. Quite honestly, since GoT, there hasn't been much on HBO I've been following closely at all. And I guess my kids will just have to live with not being able to watch Friends for the 24th time. 

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

I disagree. The real miscalculation here is on the part of HBO with its overblown sense of how important its content is. Every other streaming service I use has a Roku app. So I'm suppose to buy and deal with yet another device just to get HBO Max? Sorry. I can pass on that one.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Apparently not. Not there. Crazy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Well - from what I have been reading it is Roku that is looking for a bigger piece of the HBO pie. 

I installed my old Apple TV and am up and running on HBO Max. 

Devices can be swapped, but if there is a certain show you want only available on HBO. That can’t be swapped. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@Washoe wrote:

Roku used to be an open platform. 

Platforms are open at startup and during growth, because that serves their interests. As soon as they mature, being open no longer serves their interests... and voila! Here we are.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

The other thing people need to be prepared for are more of these fights. Amazon with YouTube, Roku with HBO, etc. 

Have other devices on-hand so you aren’t stuck high and dry. Pick up extras when on sale and new models coming out. 

I have Roku, Fire Sticks, Chromecast, Apple TV. 

Roku will get HBO in the next week or so, so these are temporary workarounds.  It will cost both companies too much money.

Don’t keep all your eggs in one basket. 

Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

@mmckaibab wrote:

Not really. Just tried getting it through YouTubeTV and that gives you all the HBO live channels but to get Max content, you have to download the HBO Max app and login. And, as there's no HBO Max app on Roku, that means the subscription on YouTubeTv is, essentially, useless. And I'm guessing subscribing through Hulu is going to provide the same issue. So that means HBO has now made themselves a bit player in the streaming world.

You're right. I have Hulu (No Ads) + Live TV, but never the HBO add-on. I now have the option to add HBO Max but... I don't know if the old HBO add-on would have given all the OD content right there in Hulu without having to use the HBO GO app. If it would have, then I'm guessing you'd still have it, but you definitely need a new app for all the non-HBO stuff, I guess. It gives you 1 free week to see how it works, but I guess right now it ain't gonna work:

Hulu with HBO Max
Add HBO Max to get access to all of HBO including hits like Game of Thrones, Westworld, Last Week Tonight and movies like the Joker and Crazy Rich Asians. In addition, you’ll have access to classic TV favorites like Friends and The Big Bang Theory, plus new Max Originals like Love Life. HBO content available via Hulu. Additional content only available via HBO Max app.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Unfortunately HBO Max is not available . What I am doing is returning to of my device's and buying Apple TV4K that way you'll have all the same services from this device plus HBO Max

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Really tired of Roku's ever increasing greed. First was almost not carrying the super bowl on the Fox app. Now this. I didn't buy a Rolu, just for Roku to charge more for content I'm already paying for. And make no mistake, the cut off the pie Roku is taking will be passed on to the consumer.

I'll be making sure Roku has their greedy fingers far away from any future device purchases.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I wish I would have stuck with only Apple TV's in the house now I'm out to buy one more...