Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Roku's disrespect for its customers

Jump to solution

I got tired of waiting since I was getting  HBO Max for free because I have AT&T 1 gig Internet so I purchased a TiVo Stream 4K works great ended buying a second one.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

HBO Max Roku and Fire TV

Jump to solution

Since I have a Roku and a FireStick I just couldn't believe neither one signed a deal with HBO Max, so first I sideloaded my FireStick which worked fine but I got tired of waiting so first I was looking at getting a Nvidia Shield TV but than I read an article about Tivo new streaming device called the Tivo Stream 4K running Android TV and decided for $49.99 it was worth a try. There were a few issue's when I first received the item but in the last few month's of firmware updates I haven't had any issue's and ended up buying a second one for my bedroom TV and now I no longer use my Roku or FireStick so for those of you like me who should have gotten HBO Max for free I would recommend you give it a try if you don't like it you can always return it. It's available on Tivo site and Amazon.

Queenlioness
Level 7

Hbo update for hbo max

Jump to solution

Hbo now has been updated to HBO app. We should be getting HBO MAX On HBO app per HBO. I have a supported device but I am not getting HBO max movies and such. Can anyone help? I tried doing updates but nothing changed. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: Hbo update for hbo max

Jump to solution

Unfortunately you may have missed some news - Roku/Amazon have a months long carriage dispute with WarnerMedia (HBO Max) and NBCUniversal (Peacock) over their new app(s)/service(s).

So for now you only have access to HBO (not premier Max content) via the HBO app, even with an HBO Max (or other HBO) account.

If and when the carriage dispute gets resolved, presumably the "HBO" app will be updated and become "HBO Max", and you'll have access to your relative subscription content tier.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: HBO Max Roku and Fire TV

Jump to solution

You likely did get HBO Max "for free" (assuming your provider had a deal for a "free HBO MAX upgrade" for current subscribers) - what you didnt get, and isnt/wouldnt be part of any such deal, is unfettered unrestricted unlimited access to HBOMax on any/every device you want at any time forever (no one ever gets such a deal for any service, ever):  all services have availability limitations and exclusions.

That being said, assuming you dont watch much or care about HDR (HDR10, HLG, or Dolby Vision) content, then the TS4K is probably a reasonable/ok device for now.  However, its HDR is "always on" (either HDR10/DV), and this is problematic and prohibitive for higher-end users (Tivo keeps promising some future firmware update will fix this, but it keeps being pushed off).

Additionally, while it has received firmware updates, they have been anything but problem free (such as all the problems in the recent 4800 firmware released at the end of July, that are just now being addressed with a 10% userbase rollout of 4896 (and still no HDR fixes), that supposedly fixes the issues introduced with 4800).   This is not unique to Tivo (look at Roku's really problematic ongoing rollout of 9.3.0), but one should use/advocate devices/platforms with "eyes wide open" transparency.

Assuming Tivo fixes/addresses the HDR and other significant issues, the TS4K certainly becomes a competitive 4K/HDR/DV/Atmos/etc Android TV-based primary streamer at $50 - but for now its just a good alternative-platform/secondary device Android-TV-based 4K/1080p/5.1 streamer.

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 13

Jump to solution

@handyguy222 wrote:

Are you a Roku employee hired to muddy the waters here? Of course it takes two for a successful negotiation, duh. The fact that Roku has said little or nothing does not increase my confidence in their intentions.

No.  I never have been or currently am a Roku employee.  I neither am making money directly or indirectly from Roku.

Roku *HAS* said something:

Roku wrote in June 2020:

As you may know, HBO made the decision to discontinue access to HBO GO on nearly all streaming platforms as of July 31, 2020. HBO GO enables cable subscribers to access HBO via the streaming platform of their choosing at no additional cost.

We are disappointed that HBO will no longer give its customers access to HBO GO - and that HBO is taking this action at a time when so many people are at home.

We believe providing an exceptional user experience is paramount and we have asked HBO to reconsider their decision. Unfortunately at this time they are still planning to shut down HBO GO.

Meanwhile our customers can still access HBO in a number of ways across our platform. Existing HBO users that subscribe through Comcast, Charter or AT&T TV can stream HBO on the Comcast Xfinity Stream, Spectrum TV and AT&T TV channels available on the Roku platform. Additionally, if you would like to continue to access HBO on Roku you may subscribe directly to HBO on The Roku Channel.

Regards,

Roku

At the same time, that really hasn't reduced the level of frustration.  Access to HBO content doesn't provide access to all the HBO MAX content.  And even worse, Comcast Xfinity Stream (in my own experience) looks like a horrific digital artifact mess.  I have been watching old programs original recorded in 480i on Netflix and they look much better than HBO on Comcast Xfinity Stream.  In fact, since John Oliver is available on YouTube, I can do a comparison between Last Week Tonight on both Xfinity Stream and on YouTube.  The comparison look identical if I force the YouTube quality setting to 240p which is a very jarring difference from the original 1080p I was getting before on HBO Go and get for free on YouTube.  The premium movies on HBO @ Xfinity Stream also look just as non-premium quality.

Is this Roku's fault?  I think it is more Comcast's fault what the quality of their streaming service is.  Then there is this from Bloomberg in an article titled "WarnerMedia Boss Jason Kilar Is ‘Very Happy’ With HBO Max":

Amazon and Roku will cave. As we head into the fourth quarter, when gift giving happens, it becomes a more material situation for a seller of hardware. There are alternatives in the Google Chromecast and Apple TV.

So, 70% of streaming player devices are locked out of the HBO MAX content the subscribers are supposed to have access to and he is 'Very Happy.' Bloomberg printed that interview about how successful HBO MAX is on August 9th and the same day Bloomberg ran another article titled "WarnerMedia to Let Go at Least 800 at Warner Bros, HBO: Variety."

So, Jason Kilar is very happy about the success fo the company he is doing massive job firings at?  This guy seems like a major [censored because this forum is not HBO].

The most frustrating statement recently from Roku is their July 22 Blog Post which states:

If you’re shopping for a new TV, a Roku TV is a great value and an easy way to access your favorite entertainment. Roku TVs offer paid channels including Hulu, Prime Video, Netflix, HBO, and SHOWTIME, as well as free options like The Roku Channel, The CW, Crackle and more.

Technically it is true that Roku TV does offer the paid channel of HBO (without HBO MAX).  But is July 22nd really the best time to bring up HBO in marketting material??  Might it come off as a little bit deceptive?   Of things I would blame Roku for, it would be that this blog post could mislead someone into believing HBO MAX it available on Roku when it is not and the future of it is still unclear.  I think they could do better than this.

@Anonymous wrote:

I got tired of waiting since I was getting  HBO Max for free because I have AT&T 1 gig Internet so I purchased a TiVo Stream 4K works great ended buying a second one.

I also got tired of waiting.  I had tried Chromecast and Apple TV before in the past and didn't like either of them.  This time I tried both the Xiamo Mi Box S and Tivo Stream 4k.  Between the two, I prefer the Mi Box as it works better out of the box.  TS4k comes preconfigured with bloatware that does nothing helpful to the user experience and impacts the performance/reliability of the product.  Tivo's own forums has unofficial advice on "how to De-tivo your Stream + Speed it up."  This involves putting the device into developer mode to which Tivo initially responded by creating an update to force a PIN code to get into developer mode.  It seems like consumer response to this "update" was poor because they have since stop rolling out the update.

Overall, none of the other streaming players at the same price point as Roku has been as polished an experience as Roku.  If the price of HBO ends up going up, I will drop it in a heartbeat and gladly return to Roku on my primary TV.  I also have no intention of replacing Roku on my secondary TV.

I tried giving my opinion of the areas that Android TV is lacking before in a different thread.  I can give an updated list of positive and negatives upon request.  Again, overall, I think Roku still has more benefits.

boogernose
Level 18

Jump to solution

I was watching HBO Max at someone elses house. And It seemed like a lot

of cartoonish kinda stuff for adults. Which is OK but what was really strange is

I noticed that suddenly I began whining constantly like a baby about everything.

And started pooping in my pants. I'm so glad Roku doesnt have HBO Max.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
sunnyk
Level 7

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

I pay FULL rate for HBO which means I get HBO Max for FREE!! Roku is literally taking money out of my pocket and preventing me from getting full service from an expensive premium channel I pay for. NOT OK Roku.  Bad business, bad service.

Ercbr
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am seriously considering abandoning my Two Roku devices (Ultra and 4) in favor of an Apple TV. I would think twice before buying again. Don’t make me pay for device and then deny me content (HBO Max / Peacock for example). It is terrible business and frustrates your customers. 

Crysicko
Level 7

Jump to solution

After reading an interview today with rokus CEO I Replaced my tlc tv and 2 roku sticks. Never coming back no matter what you do from now on, roku you messed up and your **bleep** CEO shouldbe fired. Hope karma gets you good and bankrupt ya clowns.