Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: HBO Max

Jump to solution

Perhaps we should mark July 31, 2020 on our calendars!!

HBO Go Shuttered, HBO Now Renamed in 'Significant' Brand Overhaul in Wake of HBO Max Launch 

In a statement, WarnerMedia says, “Now that HBO Max has launched and is widely distributed, we… will be sunsetting our HBO GO service in the U.S. We intend to remove the HBO GO app from primary platforms as of July 31, 2020. Most customers who have traditionally used HBO GO to stream HBO programming are now able to do so via HBO Max, which offers access to all of HBO together with so much more.
TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: HBO Max

Jump to solution

I tried the xfinity flex. Not before MAX came out. But I’ve used Apple and Roku for years. After that the flex is awful. It is not user friendly and you can’t arrange anything. I returned it and bought a new device. HBONOW is not going to stream on my apple3 anymore, so I upgraded to the newest Roku ultra (half the price of Apple over Memorial Day) and now I can’t get HBOMAX on it and it’s frustrating. I heard they’ve got a lot of Kurasawa films and I’d really like to see more of his work. It’s brilliant. One of the world’s greatest filmmakers.  
Now I’m kinda regretting getting another Roku. 
Roku: you really need to negotiate that deal for your customers. If Apple could, you can. 

Highlighted
Level 9

HBO Max - retort or reckoning

Jump to solution

Longtime user here since the XS. I remember a time when the tables were turned.

Comcast customers were blocked from authorizing HBO Go on Roku devices. Roku complained to the FCC. Tom Wheeler's FCC aided Roku.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/12/comcast-to-stop-blocking-hbo-go-and-showtime-... 

I can't help but notice the tangentially similar behavior of Roku in the ongoing negotiations with HBO Max. TV landscape has changed in 6 years. Namely, the streaming platforms are now gatekeepers, rather than Pay TV providers. And you'd better believe it's Roku holding up the discussions, demanding a larger than reasonable cut. And the demand of having the subscription run through the Roku Channel is absurdly monopolistic.

This is not going to end well. It will lead to the same spats that Pay TV providers have had when negotiating for channels. Where if agreements can't be reached, then smell the torched earth. This HBO thing is microcosmic of what's to come. AT&T put AT&T TV back on Roku as an olive branch in the negotiations. They could just as easily pull it again, along with everything else under the WarnerMedia umbrella.

I suggest you guys take time to reflect on what the mission is. And ultimately, what are the outcomes if Roku continues along this path. Remember, net neutrality is no longer law. ATT has a huge user base connected to their network. It would be a shame if traffic going to Roku devices was suddenly throttled.

Highlighted
Level 7

force roku and hbo to come to an agreement

Jump to solution

cancel all hbo on roku devices so both companies take a significant hit and are forced to come to an agreement 

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: HBO Max?

Jump to solution

@Bigj011p wrote:

So there's only 8 days until HBO Max is available. Which I didn't know until today that HBO Max will not be available (as of this typing) on any Roku device because they don't have an agreement as of yet. I did hear though that they were trying to reach an agreement and that a CEO or someone high up like that from Roku confirmed this as well supposedly. I'm getting the service as an upgrade for free because I get it through Hulu and I definitely am interested in a lot of content that is going to be on the service. I'm just surprised that one of the most widely used devices on the market including the built in software for the TVs and as of this typing it's not supported.

So does anybody else have any more information if HBO Max is going to be available on launch date the 27th? Which thanks for your answers in advance.

This is a petition to have Roku add hbo max to the app store. Please feel free to sign and share.

http://chng.it/QWftY4gZbH

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: force roku and hbo to come to an agreement

Jump to solution

It's become increasingly obvious that neither side gives a **bleep** what we want or think. I doubt anything will change their minds. Are they even talking to each other? They won't even say.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

PLEASE ADD HBO MAX TO ROKU BOX

Jump to solution

HI ROKU CUSTOMER SERVICE.

PLEASE ADD HBO MAX TO THE ROKU BOX.

THANK  YOU!

Highlighted
Level 7

Stop holding out and add HBO Max

Jump to solution

I chose Roku since they would have access to all the big platforms. I am sorely disappointed that Roku is holding out for more money.  Lets wrap this up and get back with WarnerMedia and get HBO Max in your line-up.

Highlighted
Level 9

Just to set the record straight, we do not have HBO MAX because Roku is holding out for more money.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

HBOMAX is owned by ATT.  They have made a deal with Apple about iPhones and HBOMAX.  This is done specifically to force people to move to Apple TV and pay Apple a monthly fee.  Don't fall for this trap.  If everyone holds firm HBOMAX will have to give in to ROKU.  They must get subscribers to pay off the big debt ATT has accumulated by purchasing WarnerMedia which owns HBOMAX.