Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: HBO MAX question

@Boomer7 wrote:

Which raises the question of why HBO does't just make it available as a hidden, secret Roku channel? It might not be as easy to find, it might not have Roku support, but they could still have their viewers, subscribers from outside Roku, and avoid the outrage from the people that have been ripped off. 

Yes, I wondered the same thing.  Could HOB Max be introduced as a Roku Private Channel?  Maybe Roku would just boot it off or maybe there are legal/license issues with doing that?

These guys are in negotiations. We may not like being locked out, but violating each others 'terms of use' won't speed up the process.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 10

@blade_005 wrote:

@Boomer7 wrote:

Which raises the question of why HBO does't just make it available as a hidden, secret Roku channel? It might not be as easy to find, it might not have Roku support, but they could still have their viewers, subscribers from outside Roku, and avoid the outrage from the people that have been ripped off. 

Yes, I wondered the same thing.  Could HOB Max be introduced as a Roku Private Channel?  Maybe Roku would just boot it off or maybe there are legal/license issues with doing that?

These guys are in negotiations. We may not like being locked out, but violating each others 'terms of use' won't speed up the process.

Honestly I think that sooner rather than later there's going to be a Max Channel on Roku devices. To me I just think it's a matter of when it's going to come, not a matter of if it's going to come.

Highlighted
Level 13

@Bigj011p wrote:

Honestly I think that sooner rather than later there's going to be a Max Channel on Roku devices. To me I just think it's a matter of when it's going to come, not a matter of if it's going to come.

I guess it depends on your definition of sooner. Greed on both parts created this situation. Greed for increased revenue on both parts that they are currently losing will resolve it.

• How long before Roku sees a decrease in hardware sales as users seek other devices that have HBO Max?
  • How long before Roku sees a decrease in traffic and overall advertising revenue, because users are using alternative devices that support HBO Max and not even bothering using their Roku device?
  • How long before AT&T decides that converting existing subscribers to HBO Max isn't enough and being on Roku and/or Fire TV is the only way they will begin to see a significant increase in 'net new' subscribers?

Is it a few more days, a few more weeks or a few more months? I guess we all are going to find out.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted

Hey Mr. California folk lol What in the blue **bleep** does that even mean lol I like grown-up shows as well Cali lol That just cracked me up. Let’s just hope that your precious Netflix doesn’t get bought up by AT&T too.How you were offended I do not know. Do you own stock in AT&T or something? So my best advice to you would be to pop you some popcorn my friend watch murder she wrote and just pop a Xanax or whatever you do. Now I may have offended you. I didn’t say jack $hit to you. Offended? LOL good God

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: HBO Max?

I agree ! Roku , you took my subscription money knowing that I wouldn’t be able to watch HBO NOW any more. I had to cancel my subscription and buy a new subscription for HBOMAX while my HBO NOW subscription runs out.

@ROKU , do right by us and return all subscription money that you took while knowing that you didn’t have a deal with HBOMAX.

Regards,

@MikeR.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

HBO Max

Roku, make a deal with HBO to get Max on the platform. The entire premise of your platform is that all channels will be available. You're failing to deliver on that basic promise in order to pursue delusions of grandeur.

Either fix the problem or prepare to see an exodus of users. Roku has been a great product for a long time; please don't ruin it.

Highlighted
Level 10

Re: HBO Max?

@mruf wrote:

I agree ! Roku , you took my subscription money knowing that I wouldn’t be able to watch HBO NOW any more. I had to cancel my subscription and buy a new subscription for HBOMAX while my HBO NOW subscription runs out.

@ROKU , do right by us and return all subscription money that you took while knowing that you didn’t have a deal with HBOMAX.

Regards,

@MikeR.

Honestly I was able to find out before launch day that it wasn't going to be supported on Roku devices, all I had to do was a simple Google search and then read articles like from CNET and other places sayings. Which I totally agree with you and understand that we shouldn't have to do our own research other than going to maybe they're official FAQ page and that they really should have told us officially.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: HBO Max

Amen.  I bought a Roku to watch and support the content providers I choose.  If they want to use me as leverage to set themselves up as content gatekeepers I won't be sticking with them.

Highlighted
Level 8

I just bought Nvidia Shield TV. I needed to upgrade to a box that supports Dolby Vision anyway. I've been selling my TV short all these years with Roku.

Highlighted
Level 11

It is disturbing that Roku is using its position to become a gateway for streaming services.

More competition in this environment would be welcome.