Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VFLHLZDGR
Level 8

Re: HBO MAX question

Jump to solution

I think that the greed is on both sides.

HBO was ok sharing subscriptions with Roku but now that they see higher earning potential they don’t wanna share.

roku wants a bigger %. 
Both sides are greedy. Just get it effing done

BreakUpMonopoly
Level 8

Jump to solution

Same here. Totally ridiculous. I ordered it through HBO.com I didn’t order it through the Roku. Roku get your $hit together. And make a deal with AT&T. Everybody else has monopolies it seems even despite the DOJ fighting them buying every **bleep** thing In the universe. Isn’t it about time we start breaking up these **bleep** monopolies? It sounds good until they screw us in a few years. Just wait

blade_005
Level 14

Jump to solution

@Shanecee wrote:

I wish I would have stuck with only Apple TV's in the house now I'm out to buy one more...

And if you enjoyed HBO through Apple TV Channels program that is being removed / phased out. It is clear that HBO Max wants a direct relationship with us all and wants our billing information directly. Roku and Amazon users are raging mad today and I'm sure a subset of Apple users will be as well.

HBO stops participating in Apple TV Channels, users directed to HBO Max app 

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Firemedic520
Level 7

Jump to solution

What a bunch of **bleep**.  I did the HBO Max preorder.  At no time did it say it would not be on the Roku.  I thought I was upgrading from my HBO Now to Max seamlessly, only to find out AT&T is sticking it to customers again and withholding HBO Max from customers who use the Amazon Fire TV or Roku.  Nice job!  Pulled a fast one on customers.  Thinking now about dumping them altogether.  Should have been a straight forward upgrade if you were already a HBO subscriber.  Shame on you AT&T.  

VFLHLZDGR
Level 8

Jump to solution

@blade_005 wrote:

@Shanecee wrote:

I wish I would have stuck with only Apple TV's in the house now I'm out to buy one more...

And if you enjoyed HBO through Apple TV Channels program that is being removed / phased out. It is clear that HBO Max wants a direct relationship with us all and wants our billing information directly. Roku and Amazon users are raging mad today and I'm sure a subset of Apple users will be as well.

HBO stops participating in Apple TV Channels, users directed to HBO Max app 

That’s what they want with Roku and Roku refuses. If almighty Apple did it, I find it hard to believe that they’ll deviate for Roku

0 Kudos
mmckaibab
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Infensus wrote:

Well - from what I have been reading it is Roku that is looking for a bigger piece of the HBO pie. 

I installed my old Apple TV and am up and running on HBO Max. 

Devices can be swapped, but if there is a certain show you want only available on HBO. That can’t be swapped. 

Just doesn't make sense to me. I have Roku apps for SHO, Hulu, Disney+, ESPN+, PBS, CBS All Access and the only one of these that charges more than $10 is the $11 SHO. All of that makes me suspect that the greedier organization here is more likely to be HBO than Roku. 

As for "devices can be swapped," well, not really. Or at least not easily and not economically. We do have a PS4 but the process of getting it running and then its awkward interface requiring a game controller doesn't encourage its use for anything other than the kids' gaming. And what HBO Max offers just isn't important enough for me to spend money on a new device that I then also have to spend time programming into my Logitech remote setup.

Aktionman74
Level 7

Jump to solution

Since it didn't show up on Roku I was able to add it on my mi box. If it doesn't show up on Roku soon, I'll just have to get everything added to my mi box and get rid of Roku... Let the countdown begin.

Joe79
Level 7

Jump to solution

I agree with you. This is how I do it as well and it's ridiculous that this can't be worked out ahead of time. If it's not settled and working as a standalone app in a week I'm going to stop using roku and hbo. 

mmckaibab
Level 10

Jump to solution

Well, we're pretty tied into Roku. Our main tv is a TCL Roku TV. And we have Roku sticks on our other two TV and we even have a Roku stick we use for travel that lets us pretty seamlessly get all our content on whatever TV we're watching from (and what a joy it is that we can bypass whatever feeble programming the motel we're staying in provides). So using a different device would get pretty expensive to replicate the setup we have now.

0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 13

Jump to solution

Ok, so we have HBO Now and should be eligible for HBO Max.  YouTube TV has an option to add HBO Max, but it appears you have to have it billed through them- not allowing you to log in using a standalone HBO login, unless I'm missing something..

Am I missing something?

Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos