Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

HBO Max?

Jump to solution

So there's only 8 days until HBO Max is available. Which I didn't know until today that HBO Max will not be available (as of this typing) on any Roku device because they don't have an agreement as of yet. I did hear though that they were trying to reach an agreement and that a CEO or someone high up like that from Roku confirmed this as well supposedly. I'm getting the service as an upgrade for free because I get it through Hulu and I definitely am interested in a lot of content that is going to be on the service. I'm just surprised that one of the most widely used devices on the market including the built in software for the TVs and as of this typing it's not supported.

So does anybody else have any more information if HBO Max is going to be available on launch date the 27th? Which thanks for your answers in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your posts.

Please be aware that HBO Max is currently not available on the Roku platform.

For more information visit www.hbomax.com and subscribe to the latest channel updates at http://blog.roku.com. To access HBO, go to HBO on The Roku Channel or visit the Roku Channel Store to download HBO NOW.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

357 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: HBO Max?

Jump to solution

Okay Roku! Time to stop the last minute  "will they or won't they" gamesmanship with HBO Max -it sucks for your users!  You need to post something -even if it's just to say you don't know. You have millions of users who want to know ...are you or aren't you going to offer access?!!

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I just paid a lot for this Roku tv and I had better be able to use HBO Max when it comes out.

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@lonewriter wrote:

I just paid a lot for this Roku tv and I had better be able to use HBO Max when it comes out.

Unfortunately no and I actually got lied to by Roku directly. What happened was I sent support an email and they told me that yes it's going to be supported, but they don't have a date yet. Then I sent them another email asking the same question and then a different representative (today 5/24) told me no we're not going to support it. Which if you do your own Google search supposedly Roku is in talks with HBO's parent company and ownership AT&T to make a deal, but so far as of me typing this it's not supported. In fact I had to buy a Chromecast Ultra just to make sure that I get HBO Max on May 27th. I was lucky enough to only have to pay $12 on Amazon when it's normally $73 because I used the remaining points I had on my credit card and paid the remaining balance. Otherwise if I had to pay the normal price I wouldn't have done it.

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@lonewriter wrote:

As you can see in the 1st email screenshot they said that it's coming but they have no release date. Also the person responding to me was having spelling errors as well, which to me doesn't make it so trustworthy.

Then in the 2nd email screenshot (which is from today 5/24) it says that they don't have any information regarding an HBO Max Channel.

So I feel like they don't really have any idea what they're doing with HBO Max at the moment. Which I say that because in the 1st email it sounds like they have a deal in place, but no release date, and that it's likely going to come out at later date (hopefully soon). While in the 2nd email it sounds like nothing is going on at all and that they have no information to share with me because of that. Which like I responded to someone else in a comment above, that I purchased a Chromecast, but I only had to pay $12 including next day shipping when it usually cost $73. The reason for that is because I used remaining points on my credit card and then just paid the remaining balance. Otherwise if I had to pay the full price I probably wouldn't have  purchased it. Also I said to myself that even if they end up having a channel for Roku, the Chromecast can be a great backup device just in case something happens to the Roku or vice versa. The only downfall is that I may be using the Roku less now because you don't have something that you should offer.20200523_155652.jpg20200524_163830.jpg

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thanks for the information, sounds like they don't know what they are doing. I might have to get something new to get my streaming channels, which is a shame since I just got a 55 inch Roku tv.

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

If your TV is new within the return policy. Then I would return it and explain to them why because the lack of app support with HBO Max. Or you can get a Chromecast or Chromecast Ultra (if you're TV is just 4K or 4K and HDR). The regular Chromecast is $35 plus tax and the shipping fee and the Chromecast Ultra is $69 plus tax and the shipping fee. If you do plan on getting it, Amazon is the best way to get it, as you can get next day shipping for free (if you have a Prime Membership) from the official Google Amazon store. Google directly has free shipping, but it's not going to arrive until June 2nd the earliest.

Which Chromecast is the only Roku type device that's being supported right now as I type this comment reply to you. 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

@lonewriter wrote:

Thanks for the information, sounds like they don't know what they are doing. I might have to get something new to get my streaming channels, which is a shame since I just got a 55 inch Roku tv.

They don't, Artists are NEVER good at strategic planning. They want to max out pricing for the least amount in catalog. It was IRRESPONSIBLE to launch it before a partnership with top two streaming devices. But sounds as though BHO wanted to hang onto every SINGLE penny and think they are powerful enough to do so. But without access via Roku & Fire TV, they have NOTHING, NADA, SQUAT! BHO Max is nothing if people are forced to use Apple device or PC browser only.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@DisastifiedAL wrote:

@lonewriter wrote:

They don't, Artists are NEVER good at strategic planning. They want to max out pricing for the least amount in catalog. It was IRRESPONSIBLE to launch it before a partnership with top two streaming devices. But sounds as though BHO wanted to hang onto every SINGLE penny and think they are powerful enough to do so. But without access via Roku & Fire TV, they have NOTHING, NADA, SQUAT! BHO Max is nothing if people are forced to use Apple device or PC browser only.

You can use an Android phone, an Android TV such as a Sony Bravia Android TV, a Google Chromecast, Samsung TV's from 2016-2020, iPhone, Apple TV, PS4, & Xbox One. Plus all the cable providers that they partnered with already is going to have an app on their set-top boxes from the provider directly as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

HBO MAX question

Jump to solution

We're probably old school, but we don't order anything through our Roku device. We go directly to the website of the streaming service we want, create an account, and order it through them. Then we can go to our Roku, add the streaming service, and log in. I've been reading lots of conversations about how Roku may not support HBO MAX initially, and when I checked the available streaming channels today, there was no HBO MAX. Just NOW, GO, and FYC. Will MAX become available when it goes live on Wednesday? I want to order it in advance to get the discount, but I'm hesitant because I don't know for sure if I'll be able to watch it on my TV.