Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrandiC77

HBO Max subtitles not syncing or don't work

I have 2 Roku TVs. On both the subtitles and closed captioning either doesn't sync up with the scenes or doesn't come on at all. I've tried contacting HBO and tried restarting, uninstalling, etc. But it's happening on multiple devices and every single show/movie. Is anyone else having this issue?

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
greened2062
Channel Surfer

Closed Captions on HBO Max

Using various Roku devices, closed captions on specific HBO programs can not be turned on. On other programs, I'm always able to turn them on or off as desired. I contated HBO and went through all their trouble shooting steps without resolving the issue. So I decided the next step was to try a different streaming device. I purchased a Fire TV stick and as soon as I plugged it in, the issue disappeared. Is it possible to fix it while using the Roku devices?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: HBO Max subtitles not syncing or don't work

@BrandiC77 @greened2062 

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
greened2062
Channel Surfer

As stated in m posting, I contacted HBO for assistance as that was the only platform where I was having an issue. Since the steps they suggested did not work, I decided to purchase an Amazon Fire TV stick. The specific HBO programs that had the closed caption issue when streamed on Roku, displayed the captions when viewed using the Fire Stick. So is it a Roku or HBO issue? 

0 Kudos

Your answer is typical of big tech. Have you ever tried to get support out of HBO? Well, try it, you'll find you'll get the same poor response that you have provided here. So what we as consumers end up with are two providers, Roku and HBO, responding the same way, aka call the other guy, its not my problem. You should note that I am a software developer, so I get it that defects leak through to the customer. What I don't get is your response to what is a glaring software defect, which is to do absolutely nothing about it. Now in my case, the HBO app, when used normally, sometimes enables closed captioning not only within the app, but somehow also in the system settings on the Roku device. THIS IS A RECURRING ISSUE that is highly intermittent on both of my Roku devices. What do I do to work around this defect: 1) I reboot the Roku device, 2) I go into system settings, accessibility, and disable closed captioning.

What a shame that you depend solely on the community forum, documentation, and FAQs to deliver a poor answer to customer service. What a even bigger shame that defects, either embedded in your platform, the provider app, or a combination therein, continue to live on in perpetuity.

What will I do in the future, well, I'll probably move to a different platform other than Roku that has less defects and better customer service.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@hankwojteczko 

Are you under the impression that Roku built the HBO Max app? If so, you have the wrong impression. HBO built the app. Roku can't fix someone else's app.

By the way, if you do move to another platform -- and there are good things about the other three major platforms -- you will find that they don't build the apps either. Meaning that if the issue arises on Amazon Fire TV, Amazon won't be able to fix it. And if it arises on Android/Google TV, Google won't be able to fix it. And if it arises on Apple TV, Apple won't be able to fix it.

I agree that you're in a very frustrating situation, but getting angry at the party that is neither the cause of the issue nor capable of resolving the issue is not a useful strategy.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Saavy
Reel Rookie

Basically, we're looking for Roku to change settings on HboMax to enable/disable closed caption. This means that the closed caption functionality on HboMax needs to be able to be managed by Roku and Roku needs to know what the setting(s) is/are and is doing so properly. That means multiple pieces need to be known/managed by each company. If even one of those pieces is wrong, it won't work. And sorry, but I believe it involves cooperation by both parties involved. And that means that one of those parties needs to speak with the other party and the appropriate information is passed between the two parties. Then they need good developers to either pass the information along or take the information received and code it properly. The fault belongs to both of them just as the fix belongs to both of them as well. So HBO needs to create a function that manipulates its closed caption setting, give the function to Roku (and any other streaming device) with an explanation of the parameters, and the streaming company needs to call the function with the appropriate parameters.

I use a Roku Ultra streaming device and not a Roku TV. The way to fix it would be similar for both, I believe.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Saavy wrote:

Basically, we're looking for Roku to change settings on HboMax to enable/disable closed caption. This means that the closed caption functionality on HboMax needs to be able to be managed by Roku and Roku needs to know what the setting(s) is/are and is doing so properly.  ...

HBO could code the app to work that way. Some apps do work that way. But, HBO coded it to not work that way. So, your complaint is with HBO.

You seem to want to blame Roku, so go ahead. But you may as well blame the full moon, as it has just as much impact on the things you're citing. Roku apps work as the developer designs and codes them. All apps on every platform work as the developer designs and codes them. If you don't like the way an app functions, that's the app developer.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
greened2062
Channel Surfer

I'm not blaming Roku but my experience seems to indicate that the problem only exists when streaming HBO through any of my Roku sticks. It's also not an all or nothing situation. There are certain programs that work fine, Just watched Real Time w/Bill Maher, Last Week w/John Oliver and The Tourist with closed captions on or off as desired. Others programs such as The Staircase, The Wire, or Mare of Easttown have no closed captions no matter what the settings are.  On the Amazon Fire TV stick lite, or the HBO app on my LG tv, the closed captions are available for any HBO program I'm watching. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@greened2062 

All of those devices you mention all run different operating systems. That means the code for the Roku app is different than the code for the Amazon app, which is different from the code for the webOS (LG) app.

As each app is coded separately, they will work or look as alike or different as the developers code them.

Additionally, for large services, such as HBO, they will often have different servers dedicated to different platforms. The Roku server may not be the same as the Amazon server, which may not be the same as the webOS server.

All those variable can cause things to function differently on different platforms. You may think of the apps simply as HBO Max apps, but they are really different apps (HBO Max for Roku, HBO Max for Fire TV OS, HBO Max for webOS). And different apps can work differently. But it's because of the coding of the apps. Or source content from different servers. Or a combination of those.

DBDukes

0 Kudos