Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeteCharles
Level 9

HBO Max streams movie in poor definition

Jump to solution

I've already listed the major problems my HBO Max app has had from day one (mainly the constant crashing that always sends me back to Roku Home Screen), and now a new one cropped up last night when I tried to watch a movie, "LaLa Land."  I had previously watched a couple days ago the first few minutes of the movie and placed in My List for future viewing.  Well when I started it again last night the movie streamed in VERY LOW quality or bit rate.  I would rate the quality as watching a youtube video at its lowest quality of 240p, or put another way, worst than standard definition.  I kept exiting the movie and restarting over about a half hour, when finally it played in HD.  Anyone else had this happen?  Oh, to make sure it wasn't my internet service being slow, I went to Ookla.com on my computer while the movie was onand my connection speed was 72 mbps which is more than excellent for streaming HD or even 4k.  And I also did a quick check by streaming a HD movie on Peacock and also a 4k video on youtube.  Bottom line,  the blatant problem lies within the HBO Max app.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: HBO Max streams movie in poor definition

Jump to solution

@PeteCharles 

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact HBO Max support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach HBO Max support here: https://help.hbomax.com/ContactUs

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: HBO Max streams movie in poor definition

Jump to solution

@PeteCharles 

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact HBO Max support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach HBO Max support here: https://help.hbomax.com/ContactUs

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos