Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesutz
Streaming Star

HBO Max requires FREQUENT reactivation

Hello,

I purchase my HBO subscription through YouTube TV.  When I want to use the HBO Max channel on my Roku, I have to activate it through my TV Provider (YouTube TV).  The process works, but it is very cumbersome to say the least.

Now...

When I first decided to buy HBO from YouTube TV, over a year ago, I would have to reactivate/reinitialize the HBO channel a few times - like maybe every other month or so.  A few months ago, this reactivation process became more frequent.  Now, I'm a bit P.O.'d because I just reactivated the HBO Max channel 5 days ago, and tonight the HBO Max channel is making me do it all over again.

The automatic reactivation process offered by the HBO Max channel does not work for me - it seems to be geared towards people who buy HBO Max from Roku directly - and not anyone else.

So:

1) Why is the HBO Max channel requiring such frequent reactivation?

2) Who owns this process?  Is this a Roku problem?  An HBO problem?  A YouTube TV problem?

I feel like I am being bullied into switching to buy HBO from Roku, just to fix this nuisance/constant reactivation issue with the HBO Max channel.

Comments?

7 REPLIES 7
hudy

Re: HBO Max requires FREQUENT reactivation

Following for an answer. My work around has been to stream from phone app to Chromecast, but it is a terrible user experience. I like using the Roku remote. I thought about cancelling through YouTube tv and buying direct from HBO as they offer a buying yearly discount. Please keep us updated!

0 Kudos
jamesutz
Streaming Star

I sent the info to YouTube TV support and they are attempting to investigate it.  No word back yet.

On the other front, I had to reactivate HBO Max again last night...

0 Kudos
jamesutz
Streaming Star

and reactivated HBOMax again today...

0 Kudos
dleer

I had hbomax already on my roku somehow, and finally managed to get signed out of someone else’s account. Then I signed up for my own hbomax and now I can’t get the app to load. I’ve tried unsubscribing and restarting everything and still can’t get hbomax to load. Just crashes to the Home Screen. Bought it from roku. I wish I just had your problems. 

0 Kudos
NachoSasquatcho
Reel Rookie

It’s not just a Roku issue.  Same thing in the AppleTV and Samsung apps.  Basically I think their SSO process between YTTV and HBOMax is just…bad.  

I couldn’t handle it anymore…constantly reactivating it in some device.  I’m going back to direct-through HBO. Having the HBO channels show up in YTTV is t worth this frustration.

Here’s the kicker!  I canceled through YTTV as of the 25th and nothing happened in HBOMax…still says I’m subscribed through YTTV so I literally cannot even try to give them my money! Almost a week later!

jamesutz
Streaming Star

So, we have not had the HBO Max activation problem for a few weeks now.  I just received an email from YouTube TV stating the issue has been resolved.  Looks like Google/YouTube TV worked out the problem with HBO.

NachoSasquatcho
Reel Rookie

Cool!  I canceled through YTTV and went back to subscribing directly at $149.99/year as of March 1st saving a bit of money and the over-complicated headaches. 

0 Kudos