Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BigBoss8705
Reel Rookie

HBO Max "We found your account in Roku Pay"

Hello.

So, I had HBO Max through AT&T but cut my cable and started a new account with a different email.

When I try to watch anything on my TV, it says: "Account Found, We found your account in Roku Pay". The ONLY button is "Create Account". There is no option anywhere at any time to log in. Only Create Account.

I've contacted HBO and they're no help. I used to have a login screen, but now it just seems to latch on to my Roku email with no other options. I don't even HAVE Roku Pay. I have NO payment options attached to my account.

Can anyone help? Is there any solution to this absolutely ridiculous problem?

27 REPLIES 27
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: HBO Max "We found your account in Roku Pay"

Try reinstalling HBO Max:

1) Remove the HBO Max app (Highlight the app, press the Options (*) button on the remote, then Remove)

2) RESTART the Roku (Settings/System/System restart/Restart) <-- MUST DO THIS HERE!!!

3) Re-install the HBO Max app

(If you dont restart after removal, settings/cached data associated with the app are left behind and it wont be a clean re-install)

BigBoss8705
Reel Rookie

Did this twice. Uninstalled and then restarted through menu. Then did it and restarted by unplugging.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

1) Go to Hbomax.com: Login (with your OLD ATT credentials) select <Profile name> select Manage Devices select "SIGN ALL DEVICES OUT" select Sign Out.

2) Verify you dont have a Roku payment method:   https://my.roku.com/payment/account

or subscriptions:  https://my.roku.com/account/subscriptions

3) Load HBO Max app, login with new HBO Max account

If that doesnt work, you'll need to contact both Roku and HBO Max support directly:

Roku CS phone:   (816) 272-8106   choose option 1 (accounts/billing)

HBO Max help page:

https://help.hbomax.com/us/Answer/Detail/000001203

SAME **bleep** PROBLEM!

I was getting my HBO Max subscription through Amazon. They ended that yesterday. I saw that I could do it through Roku, so I did that, paying for the first month subscription and everything.

Well it didn't work! The subscription purchase went through, but every single time I tried to get into HBO Max, it would give me an unexplained error and kick me back to my Roku TV home page.

So I just cancelled the subscription I just made through Roku, deleted my payment information, and then went directly to HBO's website and resurrected my old original HBO account and reactivated a subscription on it.

Well now, I am screwed, because my **bleep** Roku TV will not allow me to just sign into it. It keeps telling me it found my account in Roku Pay, and will NOT allow me to sign in any other way. It demands I create an account, which I don't want to do, as I am already paying for a subscription through HBO directly, and I am not about to cancel it AGAIN and be out another $15. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the HBO Max app. I have used the System menu to totally restart my Roku TV, and I have even done a total FACTORY RESET on my Roku TV. NOTHING WORKS! I can NOT log into HBO MAX with my regular HBO credentials because my **bleep** Roku TV/account won't sever itself from the app! This is really ticking me off!

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@InsaneTiger 

Try signing out of the HBO Max app first:

Per @yinc 

"Update: I followed the instructions on HBO's page: log in with Roku and found out that, with my HBO Max channel open, in the main profile, I had to sign out of HBO Max with the email I used with Prime, then it was able to detect that I had a Roku-billed account. THEN, I had to create a NEW HBO account with a DIFFERENT email from the one I had used with my Prime account.

Now it works. This is ridiculous. Even doing a factory reset on my Roku TV didn't resolve it."

Otherwise contact Roku and HBO Max as per the information provided in the previous post.

Kingseeker
Reel Rookie

That would b great news for me as well, if I had not already paid for my subscription directly with HBO Max. I only want to sign N, NOT create another account with HBO, billed thru Roku! If they were going to cancel all subscriptions thru Prime, they should've done a complete overhaul on the HBO Max app with Roku! I've never n my life had such problems with an app or service! I spent an hour & a half doing everything I read online to do, then had a chat with "someone" with HBO Max that was completely incompetent! Then was on the phone with HBO Max support for over 2 more hrs only to do everything humanly possible & still not have been helped. She said she would have to send it to the higher ups & they would b n touch. This is the Most stupid **bleep** ever! Nonsense! Nothing should ever b this hard if u have any desire for people to use ur service! I'm very ticked. Ridiculous! Anyway, is there a way to just delete ur roku pay??? Would that even help? Why would HBO Max not have an option to simply sign in? 

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Kingseeker 

HBO Max has some of the worst account migration/authentication issues I've seen, and has continuously had all sorts of account issues since inception, especially when subscribing through a third party.

And yes, the lack of immediate direct sign in is just really bad confusing app/service design (its generally not intuitive that you have to click on PAID content (how does one know the difference?) before being asked to login/authenticate).

And its not just on Roku, the app is very inefficient and poorly performing on most platforms, and the account management is abysmal as you've discovered.

You can delete your Roku Pay (and add it back later if you want) to see if that helps resolve the issue.

Kingseeker
Reel Rookie

I actually would not even use watch hbo max anymore because it's so ridiculous, but they happen to have a lot of the stuff I wanna watch. After all the problems I had I decided to try to watch hbo max on my kids ps4 only to have the app act very very poorly there as well. I do think however that I found the best work around I'm gonna get. I just watched a YouTube video that showed me how to do screen mirroring ( NOT casting) and downloaded the hbo max app on my phone (where it seems to work the best) and now I can mirror it to my roku TV with great ease & am able to watch without anymore ridiculous issues. I am greatly displeased to have to pay for a service that has no desire to treat its customers any better than this tho & I truly think hbo max app makers should get it right or get fired. From what I understand this has been an ongoing problem since the beginning. That should b remedied no matter what. I STRONGLY believe n customer service! Customers r always the reason why any business makes money. There's no excuse for greed & complete lack of care or respect for the people that u r "serving". I hope this work around I found helps someone here as well! Here is the link to the info to mirror ur phn to ur roku TV. Mine is a galaxy so this video is for androids, but I'm sure it should b enough info to get u started n the right direction if u have an iPhone or something.

https://youtu.be/NOl4u2OVqWA

Reetz

This happened to me yesterday.  I had to continue with the account creation in order to log in then log out then I could log in with my HBO credentials.  I called HBO - knew they wouldn’t help.  They literally said there was nothing they can do and he actually blamed me for making the wrong selection at the log in screen…as if I had some choice. I asked him to escalate the issue because this is a bug that is literally stealing money from people.  He did not care at all.  I called Roku and was issued a refund.  I also removed my credit card from my Roku account.  To be clear, THIS IS THEFT and I’m willing to bet there will be a class action suit in a few years.