Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bgtree
Level 7

HBO Max "Unknown Problem Occurred"

I purchased a subscription to HBO Max via Roku yesterday but the app will not play on my TCL Roku TV.  I keep getting the following message: "An unknown problem occurred. Please contact your TV provider."

Well, Roku would be the provider and there is no way to contact them!  Nor can I can I find a way to get a refund on my subscription.  If I cancel it I still have to pay for this first month, it just won't renew for next month.

I also am unable to delete the HBO Max app, which has worked in the past for other apps if I delete and reinstall.

Help please.

5 REPLIES 5\
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: HBO Max "Unknown Problem Occurred"

Hello @bgtree

Thanks for the post.

Please be advised that if you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription first before you see the Remove channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  2. Restart your Roku device: Restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > Power > System restart > Restart.
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

• Note: If you are adding a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you will need to resubscribe.

If the issue persists from one channel after attempting the suggestions above, videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the channel developer.

You can contact HBO Max Support here: https://help.hbomax.com/

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Kmw59622
Level 7

I am unable to remove the HBO Max channel from my Roku. Every other channel I can select * and choose remove channel. The only option HBO Max gives is to move the channel. 

0 Kudos
bgtree
Level 7

Thanks for the link to the HBO Max support page Kariza, but it was of no help whatsoever.  Basically what you've said, if I'm reading you correctly, is that Roku sells subscriptions to channels and then offers zero support for those channels.  Is that correct?  Because that sounds like a terrible business practice and one the Better Business Bureau should be made aware of.

I do not understand how something as simple as activating a channel app can be such a headache.  I would like a full refund of my $14.99 subscription fee, immediately.  I have no idea who to go to for that because Roku isn't exactly transparent about those things, so I guess you're it.  Please let me know who to contact.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@Kmw59622 

You will not be able to remove an app that you have a subscription for through Roku Pay - you'll need to cancel your subscription before the option appears (you'll still get the remaining time left on the sub).

https://my.roku.com/account/subscriptions

If you do reinstall the app, follow this order:  1) Remove app 2) Restart Roku 3) Reinstall app

In the future, I recommend subscribing directly from the service provider (HBO Max) to avoid this and many other issues.

RShannon91
Level 7

How do I get a refund for the money roku been taking off my card every month??🤯

0 Kudos