Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
C0rrde
Reel Rookie

Re: HBO Max playback impacting Roku devices

Hi Danny, 

Thanks for replying, 

on the https://channelstore.roku.com/details/0529e360dc0e338a1ccad45a874a7dc6/hbo-max

the add channel button is greyed out and not available 

I am in poland , i have a polish account with hbomax 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @C0rrde,

Thanks for the response.

We do not have a dedicated Roku presence in Polland at this time, so it is very likely the channel is not currently available on the Roku platform.

For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about whether they offer their channel/service on the Roku platform in your region.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
ElkoNV
Channel Surfer

This is the message I get every time I try to access HBO using the Roku Exress device: "Something Went Wrong. Sorry, we're having trouble communicating with the service. Please close the app and try again."

This problem began just a few days ago. Frustrated, I stupidly bought a new Roku device, but the same thing is happening. I have no problem accessing HBO using my laptop--just when I use Roku. 

I have double-checked that the app on the Roku screen has been updated. There is not an option to delete it and reinstall (a tip I found on the internet). 

Any ideas? Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @ElkoNV

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

In some cases, removing the affected channel and then reinstalling it may help. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
ElkoNV
Channel Surfer

Thank you for your suggestions. I've tried almost all of them and so far, I have hit nothing but dead ends.

Again, the message I received when I try to access HBO Max through my Roku Express device, is,

"Something went wrong. Sorry, we're having trouble communicating with the service. Please close the app and try again."

Here's all my information:

(1) I subscribe to HBO Max through Roku. 

(2) I have restarted my Roku device. I have also bought a new (albeit identical) Roku Express and have the same problem.

(3) When I try to uninstall HBO Max from my Roku by selecting it and hitting the Options, I do NOT have an uninstall option for HBO Max. The choices are My rating, Move Channel, Manage Subscription, Check for updates, Give us Feedback. I've tried all of them. 

(4) I have restarted my router.

(5) Understand, all my other channels (Netflix, Prime, Hulu) are working fine. Also, I have no trouble accessing HBO Max on my laptop.

OK, I guess the one thing I haven't tried is cancelling the HBO Max subscription and resubscribing. That seems like it will inevitably result in my paying more.

I am so very frustrated. Any suggestions? Is there any way to work through this by speaking to a human being in real time?

Again, thank you for trying to help.

0 Kudos
C0rrde
Reel Rookie

on the channel store the "add channel button" is greyed out and does not work 

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/0529e360dc0e338a1ccad45a874a7dc6/hbo-maxScreenshot 2022-05-25 at 12.14.00.png

and the channel can not be found on the roku device itself. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@ElkoNV

Thanks for the reply.

If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription first before you see the Remove channel option. No worries, if you resubscribe to HBO Max within the validity period of your membership, you won't be charged upon resubscribing. 

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@C0rrde

Appreciate the response.

Poland is not an official supported region for Roku, so you cannot add the HBO Max channel. Please be advised that any Roku Player or TV can be activated to any Roku account, however, channel availability/access will vary from region to region. Channels that are currently available in any given region are certified for the Roku devices sold in that region.

For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about which Roku devices they support their channel (app) on in your current region.'

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
ElkoNV
Channel Surfer

I have appreciated pretty quick replies to my queries and I have tried everything and I still get the identical message when I try to access HBO Max through my Roku Express so I can watch it on my TV. 

The message is, "Something Went Wrong. Sorry, we're having trouble communicating with the service. Please close the app and try again."

I have restarted the Roku, unplugged the Roku, restarted the router, cancelled HBO, uninstalled the HBO app on the Roku, cancelled HBO, reinstalled the HBO Max app, and everything else that you and the web pages to which you've referred me have suggested. I bought a new (identical) Roku Express which resulted in the same frustration. I can, however, access HBO on my laptop. I'm stymied and frustrated. Sigh.

I can't figure it out. Am I the only person in the world getting this message? Do I need to get a way more expensive Roku? To reiterate, I've been accessing HBO using this same Roku for years. 😞

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@ElkoNV

I apologize for the delay in response.

Did you restart your Roku device before re-installing the channel? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

If the issue persists even after attempting the suggestions above, videos from other channels play fine, contact HBO Max's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

You can reach them here: HBO Max Help Center

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator