Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

HBO Max playback impacting Roku devices

Hi Roku Community users,

Please be aware that the HBO Max channel is currently experiencing issues that is impacting Roku devices.

We appreciate your patience while we investigate this issue with HBO.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
49 REPLIES 49
auntronnie
Reel Rookie

Re: HBO Max playback impacting Roku devices

Finally someone is acknowledging there is an issue. Thank you. I hope for a speedy fix.

Thanks for guidance 

best regards 

vrl tracking courier 

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@auntronnie @The issue is on HBO’s end. Not Roku

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

Hi Roku Community users,

Please be aware that the HBO Max channel is currently experiencing issues that is impacting Roku devices.

We appreciate your patience while we investigate this issue with HBO.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny

I have a decent home theater system that includes a 5.1 surround system using high quality Definitive Tech speakers. I find it odd that this channel hasn't updated in ages, is extremely slow and delivers the worst quality audio of any. The fact that Tubi's audio is superior and by default is STEREO, makes it worse. What sort of issues have been reported? And what can be done about the audio? I use Pass through audio and my AVR supports all Dolby formats including Atmos. Thanks

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@jontalk  Warner Media is responsible for the development and updating of HBO Max. Not Roku. Warner Media recently bought Discovery and will be combining Discovery+ into HBO Max. I’m sure they’re working on an updated channel. But no one in Roku’s can give you the answer because it’s not up to them

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

@Ello2022 wrote:

@jontalk  Warner Media is responsible for the development and updating of HBO Max. Not Roku. Warner Media recently bought Discovery and will be combining Discovery+ into HBO Max. I’m sure they’re working on an updated channel. But no one in Roku’s can give you the answer because it’s not up to them

Thanks my friend and I'm aware Roku has nothing to do with channel updates though I'm assuming they make all channel developers aware of firmware updates. Having done a Google search on HBO Max audio problems, it appears its been going on for quite some time making their failure to update the channel tech obvious

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

The current issue is that HBO Max has lost Dolby Vision capability on Dolby Vision capable Roku displays and devices.

What is alarming here is that this is the SECOND streaming service to encounter an issue with HDR playback on Roku displays and devices in six months, with the first, Paramount+, still having issues since December.

0 Kudos
C0rrde
Reel Rookie

Is the hbo app not available now?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@C0rrde

Thanks for the post.

The HBO Max channel is still available for install. Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos