Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DimeTVView
Level 8

HBO Max not playing any content now on Roku Premiere

Just recently as of today, HBO Max on my Roku Premiere will not play any content. I can go in and view what's available to watch but nothing will play.

When I try to play anything it just hangs with the animated three dots then back to the main HBO Max screen. I see the player updated to 10.0.0 so perhaps this is causing the issue?

No other channels have the issue. Also, HBO Max works on all my other devices (phone, computer, Google TV).

I have done the following:

System Restart

System Update

HBO Max app removal

Restart after app removal

Reinstall HBO Max

Reset player with unplugging

Testing internet and other content on Roku (works fine)

25 Replies
caroayala
Level 7

Re: HBO Max not playing any content now on Roku Premiere

I am having the same issue with HBO and Showtime.  I think Roku is blocking them because I can play their shows just fine in my Xbox. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

Possible - there was an even a compatibility layer update for HBO Max released for OS10, so make sure you check for updates again.

Otherwise, report this both to HBO and Roku:

Roku:  chat or email   https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options  (setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

HBO: https://help.hbomax.com/ContactUs

DimeTVView
Level 8

Thank you. Roku will not allow me to chat with them as my device is not eligible for support. I'll try to update again. I've contacted HBO and they said they would escalate. 

How can I revert and how can I prevent it from just updating again?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

@DimeTVView wrote:

Thank you. Roku will not allow me to chat with them as my device is not eligible for support. I'll try to update again. I've contacted HBO and they said they would escalate. 

How can I revert and how can I prevent it from just updating again?

Steps were provided in my previous post - use the remote as described.

0 Kudos
DimeTVView
Level 8

Pl ase link as I do not see any accessible link. I did find one but it said access denied.

0 Kudos
RNCTX
Level 7

Thanks, 9.4 works, 10 does not (audio broken, video hangs).

Using a 2020 Ultra, HDMI into a Panasonic plasma and optical from an audio splitter into a receiver.

This did not affect other channels, only HBO.

I would point out on this topic that ATT has the worst apps I can think of in the large corporate world, and you guys at Roku are selling ease of use and polished user experience.  In your shoes, I would not hesitate to do something publicly embarrassing to ATT to force them to comply with your app quality guidelines. 

0 Kudos
DimeTVView
Level 8

ATT has nothing to do with this. How can I go back to 9.4??

0 Kudos
DimeTVView
Level 8

Thanks. I reverted. That fixed it. Hopefully it won't auto update. At least now it's working.

0 Kudos
RNCTX
Level 7

@DimeTVView wrote:

ATT has nothing to do with this. How can I go back to 9.4??

HBO was the first premium TV service to offer a standalone subscription via web and apps, and now they are the worst streaming service in terms of app quality and features.  

What has changed since then?  Being bought and “rebranded” by ATT, that’s what.

btw, declaring your knowledge of a thing and then immediately asking a question about it (that has already been answered in the post you’re replying to!) is perfect, thanks for that one, smooth brain.

0 Kudos