Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DimeTVView
Level 9

Re: HBO Max not playing any content now on Roku Premiere

Thank you for contributing but really my thread was created to troubleshoot and figure out an issue. Not get into a diatribe about your personal feelings about AT&T as a company and HBO Max as a service. 

I also corrected with a post that I initially missed the instructions regarding reverting the system software so perhaps you are the "smooth brain" who missed that one. The irony also isn't lost that you subscribe to a service you supposedly despise.

0 Kudos
caroayala
Level 7

Bummer! It does not offer me the 9.4 update as an option. Looks like I’m stuck with the 10..00.4177

0 Kudos
footballover494
Level 7

Same here Roku premiere+ sometimes I can get something to start playing but the audio is cracking and it fails and kicks me back to the main screen when the trailer ends at the beginning. 

0 Kudos
mmori
Level 7

I too am having the same problem but HBOMax works fine on all my other Roku devices.  Since my Roku Premiere does support 4K and all my other Roku devices do not, that may be the only other issue to address.

0 Kudos
footballover494
Level 7

Ah ::update:: the above mentioned roll back of the update to 9.4 got it working! Thank you very much for posting the solution! MORTAL KOMBAT!! 

0 Kudos
RNCTX
Level 7

On second thought, my Ultra (2020), the rollback fixes the broken HBO app but also causes me to lose global search.

Not a very good tradeoff, honestly...

edit to the edit: reinstalling 9.4.0.4210 over the top of 9.4.0.4210 in the 'secret' menu caused the search to come back. so I'm back in business it seems.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are still experiencing an issue with HBO Max not playing content, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
caroayala
Level 7

@RokuDanny-R 

Hi Danny, 

I am experiencing the issue on HBO Max and Showtime Anytime. Here’s the info you requested 

-Roku device model: 4400x - Roku 4
-serial number: YU00CN196853
-device ID: 4U75AC196853
-software OS/version: 10.0.0 built 4177-17 

- Showtime version 2.18 built 26

- HBO Max version 50.9 built 31

- Tracker ID for HBO Max: 53-167-338

- Tracker ID for Showtime: 53-167-340

0 Kudos
RNCTX
Level 7

May be related to matching content fps/refresh rate?

I have a TV with film (24fps) post processing enabled so I have my Roku set to match the content refresh rate. HBO playback on OS10 hung and output garbled audio very near the point where the screen would flash as the refresh rate changed. I don't have Showtime, but the issue was only apparent on the  HBO Max app for me. 24fps content worked fine on the Prime, Netflix, and Plex apps with OS 10.

Roku Ultra 4670X

Serial YJ007F854297

Version (since downgrade, that works, OS 10 did not work) 9.4.0 4210-46

Device ID KW9997854297

0 Kudos
DimeTVView
Level 9

@RokuDanny-R Hi Danny. Thanks for responding. Here is the information for me. I was able to revert back to a different OS version (9.4.0 build 4210-29)  and HBO Max now works. I will not move to 10.0.0 since it doesn't work. I suppose it may force me and brick HBO Max for me. I may be on borrowed time.

Model: Roku Premiere

OS Version: 10.0.0 Build 4177_29 (no longer using as I reverted back to 9.4.0).

DeviceID:  7J36D4329826

Serial Number:  YT004G329826

HBOMax App Version:  50.9 Build 31

Issue occurs ONLY on HBOMax. Content will not play. When trying to play content, the 3 dot loading occurs. It will not play and just exit the content back to content select screen after approximately 15-20 seconds.

Steps to reproduce: 

-Open HBO Max App on main screen

-Select Content (any)

-Select the Play Icon

-Play content (3 dot loading screen. Content does not play. Reverts to play selection screen of content)

0 Kudos