Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

HBO Max not launching on Roku Ultra (2020)

Jump to solution

Hi everyone

On my roku ultra (2020 model), when I try to launch HBO Max, it shows the logo, then immediately crashes back to the home screen. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the channel and restarting the device. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Level 8

Re: HBO Max not launching on Roku Ultra (2020)

Jump to solution

After a maddening 40 minutes chatting with their online customer service, I seem to have gotten mine to work. They had me unsubscribe from HBO. Then remove the channel. Then restart my Roku. Then add the channel. Now seems to be working fine.

View solution in original post

Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to HBO Max support directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the HBO Max channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

You can reach them here: https://help.hbomax.com/ContactUs

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

88 Replies
Level 10

Jump to solution

I encountered this on my first try or two.  I re-ran the software update sequence followed by restarting the stick.  I may have even done this twice.  After starting HBO max, it may have even crashed out again, but then when i retried, it fired up content indexes fine. Hopefully that works for you.  I can't test the streaming yet as my problem is that I have an existing HBO Max subscription that i can apply via the app so I can't test the actual stream.  

Level 7

Jump to solution

Strange, I've tried that but it still isn't working. Maybe it's not optimized for the ultra yet.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

Same thing happening on my TCL 4K Roku TV and my 32 inch TCL Roku TV (non-4K). It shows the logo and starts to load and then crashes right back to the Home Screen. Hopefully they fix this or update this fast.

Level 7

Jump to solution

Im having the same issue on my Roku 2720x. Loads HBOMAX home screen showing shows and movies then immediately crashes and goes back to Roku homescreen

Level 7

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue, but intermittently.  One time it works and I watched some content and added items to the list...next time it crashes after I select my profile.  This needs to be fixed ASAP.

Level 8

Jump to solution

This is essentially what is happening to me -- consistently crashes as it's loading the new releases. I'm on a Roku 3500X-Roku Stick, version 9.4.0 build 4200-09 and HBO Max is version 50.7 build 334. Since I subscribed to HBO through Roku, I can't remove and reinstall the HBO Max app as described here: https://help.hbomax.com/Answer/Detail/2358

I've restarted the Roku stick multiple times, checked for both System and HBO Max updates, and created a new HBO Max profile. Anyone had better luck?

Level 7

Jump to solution

Mine is also crashing on my Roku gen 1 device. 

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

After a maddening 40 minutes chatting with their online customer service, I seem to have gotten mine to work. They had me unsubscribe from HBO. Then remove the channel. Then restart my Roku. Then add the channel. Now seems to be working fine.

Level 8

Jump to solution

I assume this is billed through Roku as well? My next automatic billing is 12/25 -- did it change the date when your automatic billing occurs? I'd rather not lose that extra 8 days I've already paid for... Thanks for any info!

0 Kudos