Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BKJP
Level 8

Re: HBO Max not launching on Roku Ultra (2020)

Jump to solution

Honestly, it's unclear. I've asked the agent how to resubscribe, but they are unable to explain to me how to do that. Right now, my subscription ends on 1/3/21, and I'm still able to access content currently. Just not sure how to continue the subscription past 1/3/21.

0 Kudos
johnny3
Level 8

Jump to solution

OK, thanks! I'll probably hold out a few more days, hope they fix this soon, if not cancel sometime before Xmas and resubscribe. I can't even get the old HBO content now though and don't want to spend too much time on it.

0 Kudos
In
Level 8

Jump to solution

Weird at first I could only get regular HBO to launch when I launched HBOMax.  Then I reinstalled the app and rebooted and it was fine.

Now I notice the app shuts down when I try to start a video. But only on certain shows. I wanted to watch Beforeigners.

So I tested watching other shows and the app worked fine. It’s just this one show. So I went back to my iPhone app and used air play. And now I can watch the show by using air play to cast the show to Roku. 😂

0 Kudos
RyanPm40
Level 9

Jump to solution

Same exact problem here on my Ultra and it's incredibly annoying. It usually happens once I've selected a profile, but sometimes it'll randomly happen while I'm scrolling through TV shows to watch.

0 Kudos
JimmyCra
Level 8

Jump to solution

Same happening with my ROKU stick.  I was able to get in once and watch “Hard Days Night”. But once again it’s throwing me out to home screen.  Do you think it’s just “crashing” from too many users looking in on first day ?

STSinNYC
Level 8

Jump to solution

Same problems in my 4200. The app will play some content on the main page, but when I go into the menus and select a show or movie, the app crashes. On everything I have tried to play...Beforeigners, Solaris, Shadows, Revanche, others. Very very poor execution by Roku. They clearly care very little about their customers. Eventually Amazon and the others will drive them out of business because of better quality product.

0 Kudos
Glee2
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same thing happening with my Roku. Tried resetting/restarting and as far as I get is it kind of loading the main screen for HBO Max and then crashes back to the main Roku menu..... Argh!

johnny3
Level 8

Jump to solution

I think there is a good chance of this. Last I saw HBO Max had about 15 million subscribers while Roku has something like 42% of the streaming market compared to Netflix/HBO/Amazon which split the difference. HBO might have just got an onslaught of new subscribers/users and weren't familiar with how screwed they were shading us Roku people... Notably, HBO/Warner having been hurting hard from recent news as well (Christopher Nolan, Denis Villeneuve, etc.)

0 Kudos
johnny3
Level 8

Jump to solution

I decided to unsubscribe, it said I'd still have my HBO subscription until 12/25/20 I paid for. I like that. I removed my HBO Max app, restarted Roku repeatedly, "newly" installed HBO Max too, it recognizes me (I like!), but the app's also still crashing when new releases appear. I'm thinking HBO/Roku can't handle this new load of people wanting HBO Max content... My subscription ends 12/25, and so far HBO/Roku, I'll leave it that way as I can't even watch baseline HBO Go/Now stuff I paid for... At least you folk don't make it too horrible to unsubscribe, which I'm a big fan of...

0 Kudos
Muzikboy
Level 8

Jump to solution

That seems like a lot of work and frustration to solve a problem that ROKU SHOULD BE SOLVING!!  I hate it when Roku is always pointing the finger at someone else instead of fixing THEIR PROBLEM.  I'm getting ready to dump Roku and switch to another platform.