Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeepergirl
Level 7

Re: HBO Max keeps freezes - then crashes back to home screen

Jump to solution

Yes happens every several minutes to an hour into program and continues to happen.

0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

Jump to solution

@jeepergirl wrote:

Yes happens every several minutes to an hour into program and continues to happen.

Try  removing and reinstalling channel, see if that helps. 

0 Kudos
SugarDarling
Level 8

Re: HBO Max keeps freezing - can't watch anything

Jump to solution

Hi!

I’d there is a petition to sign, I’m in! How other way would they get into trouble? 

Im so frustrated! HBO Max keeps freezing - can't watch anything now, but early today was fine. Side note-signed up right before seedling and starting a series.

I took a break today and went to start something new this evening, and it has crashed 5 times! I cant watch anything. 

There is no option to Remove the Channel when you click star key.

Below are the only options for HBO MAX app on my Roku :

My Rating 

•My channel

•Manage subscription

•Check for updates

•Give us feedback

•Close

Also, rebooting doesn’t work either. 
Has anyone found a solution to the this App Crashing problem?

I literally just paid for a brand new subscription to HBO MAX earlier today just to rewatch GOT.

I shouldn’t have to do a workaround for this app. I paid for a service product that apparently has had glitches for over a year now without resolution.

What can we do as a consumer? Seems both Roku 1 (2710 series) # and HBOMAX have been contacted too many times to count by other consumers, for over a ye

If this doesn’t get resolved by tomorrow, I’ll be calling and canceling this subscription. 

0 Kudos
SugarDarling
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hi!

I’d there is a petition to sign, I’m in! How other way would they get into trouble? 

Im so frustrated! HBO Max keeps freezing - can't watch anything now, but early today was fine. Side note-signed up right before seedling and starting a series.

I took a break today ans went  to start something new this evening, and it has crashed 5 times! I can’t even staff anything. 

There is no option to Remove the Channel when you click star key.

Below are the only options for HBO MAX app on my Roku :

My Rating 

•My channel

•Manage subscription

•Check for updates

•Give us feedback

•Close

Also, rebooting doesn’t work either. 
Has anyone found a solution to the this App Crashing problem?

I literally just paid for a brand new subscription to HBO MAX earlier today just to rewatch GOT.

I shouldn’t have to do a workaround for this app. I paid for a service product that apparently has had glitches for over a year now without resolution.

What can we do as a consumer? Seems both Roku 1 (2710 series) and HBOMAX have been contacted too many times to count by other consumers, for over a yea

If this doesn’t get resolved by tomorrow, I’ll be calling and canceling this subscription. 

@Nsputnik1 wrote:

It seems Roku and HBOMax are just going to point fingers at each other until? I am looking at one of the two parties to step up and take responsibility for the problem before they get into trouble.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@SugarDarling I believe the HBO Max channel is one that requires you to log out of the channel before it can be removed. Look in the settings within the channel for where to log out of your account.

That said, I have no issues with Max on any of my Roku players. I believe the issue you are having is that your Roku is simply too old. The 2710 was released in Sep 2013, and simply isn't powerful enough for Max. I realize that HBO says that any device running Roku OS 9.3 or later is supported. Probably the biggest problem is the 2710 doesn't support accelerated graphics, and MAx is likely something that requires it. You simply need a newer Roku player.

I have far more issues with Max on my Nvidia Shield players, which are much more expensive than any Roku. HBO simply has terrible developers for their apps on all platforms, not just Roku. And unfortunately this is all on HBO. There's nothing Roku can do to make Max work properly on their devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Skynet
Level 9

Jump to solution

I’m not sure how to say this in a nice way. Do yourselves a favor and get an Apple TV 4K don’t waste your time with roku or google tv. Yes get a tv powered by roku tv or google tv you save money and do not connected or set it up just use it as a regular tv: Apple TV’s are very powerful to run pretty much anything thrown at them with 0 issues. So I ended up getting 4 apples TVs and said goodbye roku and their weak hardware.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Skynet you aren't being fair to Roku. The problems with the HBO Max channel are solely the responsibility of HBO. It's their developers that write the app for each platform. And it's uniformly bad on all platforms.

I find Max works far better on my Roku Ultra 4800 than my far more powerful Nvidia Shield. I have no issues with Dolby Vision, Atmos, or anything else with Max. And I've used my Premiere (less powerful than the Ultra) without any issues getting 4K/HDR from Max. The problem isn't with Roku. Talk to HBO and make a fuss. If they've done a good job developing on the Apple TV, well that's one plus for them. But their Android app is miserable. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Skynet
Level 9

Jump to solution

I’m not sure if roku comes even close to the powerful bionic A12 processor of Apple TV’s or even the stability of the os itself. all my rokus are ultras still not good enough hardware for 60 dollars more per unit you can get a device that is supported by apple running very stable Unix based iOS and much better experience. Also Apple TV’s support Dolby vision and hdr on same device also Dolby digital and atmos can roku do that. Roku used to be good till all they care now about is revenue from advertising forgetting that we purchase a streaming devices to stream @atc98092 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Yes, the Roku Ultra 4800 supports Dolby Vision, HDR and Dolby Atmos without an issue. I've never used an Apple TV, so I won't say anything bad about them. Some people are completely happy with them, and that's fine. My Shield is a perfect streaming player with the exception of HBO Max. And my Roku players are fine for everything other than streaming my local media, and there the main limitation is not supporting the lossless audio codecs and can't stream fast enough for playing my 4K movie rips. 

I do wish Roku would offer a more high end player, something with Gigabit Ethernet, support for bitstreaming lossless audio, and support image based captions. That's where the Shield excels, but I still prefer a Roku for everything else. And I really wish Roku would stop using the same name on players with different hardware and capabilities. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Skynet
Level 9

Jump to solution

@atc98092 Hopefully in the future they can produce better hardware for manufactures that use roku for their tvs. By the way do you know if any manufacture still make non smart TVs?

0 Kudos