Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ConsumerMaven21
Level 8

Re: HBO Max keeps freezes - then crashes back to home screen

Jump to solution

I tired uninstall and reinstall. I tried rebooting Roku. I have tried everything and the app is broken. It simply does not work. Every time I start a movie it reverts to the Welcome screen. I spent an hour and a half with AT&T, and thy cannot fix it.

ConsumerMaven21
Level 8

Re: HBO Max keeps freezing - can't watch anything

Jump to solution

I spent 90 minutes and they have no idea. The app is broken. There is no point in anyone paying for HBO Max to stream on Roku until it works.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I use Max on a daily basis with my Ultra 4800. Never had a problem. It's a bigger problem with Android devices. HBO doesn't seem to have very good app developers. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
maxproandu
Level 9

HBO Max keeps freezes - then crashes back to home screen

Jump to solution

atc98092

You are correct.

But at least Apple and Disney went through an experienced third party Roku Channel developer to create their apps, helping to gain insight into the fact that there ARE different code name models.

Sadly, we're informed that HBO didn't contact anyone until well after their channel release for third party support. They've had an in-house development for years, and had experience with earlier Roku channels, but these were only original earlier Android & iOS "phone apps" converted to support the Roku OS format.The starting point for the HBO Max apps was Fire OS5.6.2.3/ Android 5.1.1, both running on ARM infrastructure. Apple iOS / Vewd OS were next, with similar hardware requirements. After other OS's, Roku's 9.3 OS was last. HBO did their best to work around the channel toolbox for Roku OS, but didn't take any hardware support into account. To be fair, Roku doesn't give hardware as a component of their toolbox.

HBO is currently working with external support and are making adjustments to the HBO Max channel. They're hamstrung by the initial release and unforeseen limitations of Roku OS 9.4 in the changes to the app that they can make. We expect, at some point around the nest Roku OS release, HBO will either "dumb down" the app to match Disney+ or move to hardware restrictions like Apple TV.

maxproandu
Level 9

Jump to solution
ConsumerMaven21

Out of curiosity, what model, not name, Roku device or TV do you have? We're trying to compile a list.

If it's a Roku TV, the Roku "roDeviceInfo.GetModel(), go to: Settings >System >About
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@maxproandu 

I would expect hardware restrictions would be the best direction to go. That seems to be where the hangup is with their current channel. Although they still can't get 5.1 audio in their Android apps. That's the main reason I use my Roku instead of the Shield for Max.

But the Ultra I use mostly is the newest version, which is quite powerful compared to older models. I have used Max on my Sharp Roku TV, but since it's a 4K set it's more powerful than something like the Express models. Depending on what features HBO wants to offer in that channel, I could see them restricting it to 5th generation and newer Roku players. 

Dan

0 Kudos
maxproandu
Level 9

Jump to solution

atc98092

We agree; the 4800X Ninth Gen, with it's Realtek RTD1319VR ARM Cortex A55 Quad-core SoC with 3 levels of cache, runs faster and cooler than the A53 in the 4670X Eighth Gen it replaced. Dolby Vision decoding in the RTD1319VR was long overdue. The Realtek RTL8822BE radio is a major improvement too.

We often wonder if the reason people are having problems with the HBO Max channel on so many devices is that it was coded with the 4800X in mind from the beginning.

The new Chromecast with Google TV, using the extremely stable Amlogic S905D3 ARM Cortex A55 Quad-core SoC, is as powerful as the 4800X and is considered an entry level streamer at half the price. The Amlogic SoC natively supports Dolby Vision decoding and a number of other features. And if developers upgrade the apk's to become more than a phone/tablet apps, we should start seeing 5.1. They haven't put forth the effort because GTV has not been a true competitor.

Just like the last round of devices left to be "Legacy Models" with Roku OS 9.2 (all 256MB RAM), the next round of candidates will more-than-likely also be hardware determined, not by generation. We believe this are the next Legacy Devices:

2700X Roku LT
2710X Roku 1 / SE
2720X Roku 2
3500X Roku Streaming Stick
3700X Roku Express
3710X Roku Express+
5000X Roku TV Liberty

With the exception on the 3500X, all of these Roku devices have MIPS SoC's. The 3500X is the last non-Cortex ARM powered player supported. Other than the 512MB of memory, we reason Roku has kept this Second Gen stick active as-long-as they have due to the number of active unit. Regardless, we may still have Third Gen players like the 4200X.

With the Roku OS no longer needing to support these, the next OS revision will allow channel developer like HBO to better refine their apps.

More Ninth Gen units are due as replacement for the following, all based on the Realtek RTD1319V:

3810X Roku Streaming Stick+
3811X Roku Streaming Stick+
3920X Roku Premiere
3921X Roku Premiere+
3930X Roku Express
3931X Roku Express+

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Well, I just watch one episode of Game of Thrones on my 4800, and all was well. I then switched to my 4670, which is connected to my network via WiFi instead of wired and connected to a small 720p TV. I then watched the next episode of GoT. The only difference was the 4670 wouldn't show the captions. can't say for sure if it's the Max app for that or not. The 4670 hasn't had an OS update since Dec 10, and the box hasn't been rebooted since. I know the 4800 has received a number of OS updates due to some Dolby Vision issues, although they haven't appeared to me. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Paulie1
Level 7

Re: Temporary fix.......

Jump to solution

I'm two months late here, but still having the issue on both of my parents' Roku sticks (don't remember the models.  One is older & one much newer).

Thing is, Amazon Fire was a big holdout to HBO Max for a while, but finally worked it out & Max worked perfectly & still does on my Fire tv at my home.  And HBO Max works great on all of my devices (phone, computer).

So I'm going to buy my folks a Fire stick  because it works great with HBO Max & Roku was a big holdout and not wanting to offer it forever & so they went ahead and agreed to offer it, knowing it'd be buggy & never work.  Not cool.  What else will they do that with that comes along in the future?

lswin
Level 7

Jump to solution

It worked!!!!!!!yeah!!!

0 Kudos