Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

HBO Max keeps freezes - then crashes back to home screen

Jump to solution

I was finally able to add HBO Max but every time I open the app it just freezes and then my Roku goes back to the home screen. Anyone else having this issue? I've tried restarting. 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: HBO Max keeps freezing - can't watch anything

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We would recommend continuing to try to access the channel.

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to HBO Max support directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the HBO Max channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

You can reach them here: https://help.hbomax.com/ContactUs

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: HBO Max keeps freezes - then crashes back to home screen

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We would recommend continuing to try to access the channel.

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to HBO Max support directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the HBO Max channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

You can reach them here: https://help.hbomax.com/ContactUs

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

245 Replies
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yep. Every time I select something to watch within the HBO Max channel, I get kicked back to the Roku homescreen. Roku support is non-existent on this.

Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@cschempp08 @BKJP 

Thanks for the posts.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. 

In addition, how are you powering your Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Level 7

Jump to solution

yes, every time I attempt to open it, I have same problem

Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same problem everytime I attempt to open it

Level 9

Jump to solution

@cschempp08 wrote:

I was finally able to add HBO Max but every time I open the app it just freezes and then my Roku goes back to the home screen. Anyone else having this issue? I've tried restarting. 

Yes! First, if you’re logged into your hbo max account anywhere, log out by going into your hbo account on another device (like app on your phone, for example), and go to Settings > Manage Devices, and log out of all devices. The reason for doing this is roku might be holding onto an old login from the old hbo channel, if you had that. For some reason, that seemed to keep making my new hbo max channel crash. Delete the hbo max channel from your roku device by highlighting the hbo max tile on the roku homescreen on your tv. Then press the asterisk (*) key on the remote. Press Delete channel. Now restart your roku. Then re-add the hbo max channel. Open it, let the homepage load completely, then choose a program and press play. That’ll bring up the options to subscribe to hbomax thru roku (no!) and a Sign in option. Choose the sign in option, and it’ll let you choose whether you have hbo max thru a cable provider or a subscription to hbo max. After you select one of those, it’ll take you to the appropriate sign in screen.

Hope some or all of this helps! 

0 Kudos
Level 9

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@cschempp08 @BKJP 

Thanks for the posts.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. 

In addition, how are you powering your Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Hi Danny - I had this same problem of the hbo max channel opening, starting to load the home page, then booting me back out to the Roku home page. It seemed like the thing that fixed it was logging out of hbo max on all devices. Of course, since I couldn’t get hbo max to load properly, I had to do it from another device (hbo max app on my iphone). Then deleting the channel on roku, restarting roku, readding hbo max channel, and logging in. I also found that it only worked when I let hbo max load the entire hbo max home screen before trying to select something on the home screen. If I did that too soon, the home screen would lock up and I’d get booted back out to Roku home screen again. There might be some issues with internet speed or something going on. I just know that if I let hbo max load for a few minutes before trying to do anything in it, it worked! :-)

Level 7

Jump to solution

Same problem. There is no option to remove channel, only to unsubscribe?

Level 9

Jump to solution

Same problem on my Roku Ultra. It's very intermittent. Sometimes it works fine, but most of the time, it crashes and returns to the Roku home screen as soon as I select a profile on the welcome screen.  I've also had it crash on me just while scrolling around through some shows. I haven't even attempted to watch anything yet and am afraid to find out how that goes lol I was just browsing around to see how the new app looks.

Level 8

Jump to solution

Similar problems with both my 4200s. Anything program that was on my recent viewed list as HBO Max listed causes the kick out to the Roku home screen. Any program I had marked as a favorite does the same thing.  All those have been cleared, HBOM app deleted from Roku list, Roku restarted,  and the problems persist. Tried Danny's recommendation, that didn't work. Not having any problems watching anything n HBOM on my laptop. This is a Roku specific problem. Have now signed out on all devices and will try again tomorrow. Shame on Roku for launching this app in such buggy condition. They clearly don't care about their customers.  Just jam it out there as fast as possible regardless of how badly its working so they can maximize revenue before year end.