Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HBO Max keeps freezes - then crashes back to home screen

Jump to solution

You are asking Roku to do something they can't do. It would be next to impossible to test every proposed channel on every version of hardware, even ignoring the OS level. They place that requirement on the developers, and it's the developer's responsibility to make a determination of the hardware level required for their channel. Some do their job, such as Disney which has a long list of supported and unsupported devices. It's HBO that is being lazy. And when you read forums other than here, you'll see that the HBO Max app has problems on almost every platform. It's not specific to Roku. HBO simply isn't doing their job as a channel developer. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Nsputnik1
Level 8

Jump to solution

Apple does it for iOS and they have far more apps to review.  And apple is more aggressive with their TOS with developers and that goes toward a better user experience.  Apples sees their reputation on the line (one of the few areas that they do) when they try to deliver app experiences.  Roku does not to the same degree.  Ultimately the buck stops with Roku to keep HBO Max from delivering a poorly authored channel/app to the platform or to incompatible devices.  Roku should not be letting HBO Max make them both look bad.

Nsputnik1
Level 8

Jump to solution

A quick search on job listings at HBO Max in the last 7 days lists dozens of openings for product managers and software engineers openings in LA, NYC and Seattle. I guess they can't fix it because they don't have the right people?  Somebody go work for them to get this fixed!

• Sr Manager, Product Insights & Experimentation
  • Product Manager, CMS Automation - HBO Max
  • Sr. Product Manager, Product Planning & Strategy - HBO Max
  • Product Manager II -- Product Performance & Insights (HBO Max)
  • Sr. Product Manager, App Store Analytics - HBO Max
  • Sr. Manager, Data & ML Technical Product Management - HBO Max
  • Sr. Product Manager - Data Driven Experiences (HBO Max)
  • Product Manager II - HBO Max
  • Sr. Product Manager, App Store Analytics - HBO Max
  • Principal Software Engineer, Video Processing - HBO Max
  • Software Engineer I, Video Processing - HBO Max
  • Sr Technical Program Manager, Clients & Platforms - HBO Max
  • Software Engineer I - Authentication - HBO Max
  • Sr Software Engineer Authentication - HBO MAX
  • Software Engineer I, Data Pipeline - HBO Max
  • Software Engineer II, Data Reliability - HBO Max
  • Software Engineer II, Service Frameworks - HBO Max
  • Software Engineer II - Authentication - HBO Max
  • Software Engineer II Dotcom - HBO Max
  • Software Engineer I Strategic Infrastructure - HBO Max
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

And if Roku attempts to do so and pulls the channel from the store until HBO does their job, they will get buried by users complaining the channel is gone. It's a no-win situation for them.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Nsputnik1
Level 8

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

And if Roku attempts to do so and pulls the channel from the store until HBO does their job, they will get buried by users complaining the channel is gone. It's a no-win situation for them.

Yeah, they probably don't want to make it too difficult for third parties to build apps so they go easy on them and then they suffer with quality issues.

0 Kudos
phytotech
Level 8

Jump to solution

Been having this issue for a while, even with the latest HBOMax app upgrade 50.10 Build 13. I am restating this but the behavior I have been having is limited to the special movies that have previews. If the movie has a preview then it does not transition from the preview to the movie, but jumps back to the home screen.

Anyway, the HBO Max support suggested the following and it works:

Start the movie on another device (e.g. computer/browser), let it go for a couple of minutes so that the app recognizes that some of the movie has been watched. Stop. Then restart using Roku. I am able to continue in Roku where I left off and because there is no preview since I saw it on the browser app; the movie plays as expected.

Hope that helps some of you.

0 Kudos
Skynet
Level 9

Jump to solution

I think HBO max is garbage and the fact that their content now non existent since all the good movies are licensed out, and adding all the app issues I decided to cancel the service and save my 14.99 a month. If they really want the money provide better content and build app customized for the hardware itself

0 Kudos
WFUBiggs
Level 7

Re: HBO Max keeps freezing - can't watch anything

Jump to solution

Why is the onus on the customer to reach out to HBO? Why isn’t Roku reaching out to HBO on behalf of their customers?

0 Kudos
Cats19Meow
Level 8

Jump to solution

At first I blamed HBO but since it occurring on ALL Apps I would have to say it's ROKU's problem.

My Roku worked just fine for a month or so then began this stalling/stuttering started to happen and then after SEVERAL minutes I was kicked back to home screen.

Roku is plugged into a wall socket and on all Apps.

Please stop telling me about USB port etc.

0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

Jump to solution

@WFUBiggs wrote:

Why is the onus on the customer to reach out to HBO? Why isn’t Roku reaching out to HBO on behalf of their customers?

Because the subscription contract is between you, the subscriber and HBO.  The contract is not with Roku and HBO. Even though your payment comes on your card in your payment info, the contract is still with you, the subscriber and HBO.