Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maxproandu
Level 9

HBO Max freezes when app opens home screen, only to close and return back to Roku home page

Jump to solution

The 3810X/3811X was one of the 1GB units that we saw a few HBO max issues. Some are working, with not explanation. Added a footnote to the post.

Thankx!

0 Kudos
Ottothewee
Level 7

Re: HBO Max keeps freezing - can't watch anything

Jump to solution

This works! Nothing else was working for me. Load content directly from the Roku search function.

0 Kudos
Heywardj2
Level 7

Re: HBO Max keeps freezes - then crashes back to home screen

Jump to solution

I'm working with someone at HBOmax now and they're clueless as to how to help. You only get basic results like "delete the app and reinstall it" or "do you have internet connection" literally a waste of time asking HBOmax to help. 

0 Kudos
Two-bad-dogs
Level 8

Jump to solution

If you have an older Roku nothing will fix it. Buy a new one. I had to replace 3. Uninstall reinstall won’t help and you will not get help from Roku or HBOMAX. The app was not built to be backward compatible with older Roku devices. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I still use my Ultra 4800 for Max instead of my Shield because on the Shield they still have only stereo available. With the Roku it's 5.1. And I never have an issue with playback. I don't use the search function.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
maxproandu
Level 9

HBO Max keeps freezes - then crashes back to home screen

Jump to solution
Heywardj2

HBO support for these problems is scripted, and from our experience they never ask what Roku model number is involved before proceeding with support. This is evidence that "Roku" is all the same to the support team and that the script needs serious revision.

Out of curiosity, what model, not name, of Roku player or TV do you have?

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

"...support for these problems is scripted,..."

Unfortunately, this is true for the vast majority of support help lines. The people on the phone have no idea how anything works, about specific devices, or even details about their own product, outside what is within the script. They have no idea that there are Roku devices that are 12 years old, and are not supported by their service. They have no idea that their service might be available in a particular country, but that their company hasn't make their service available on Roku devices. Even sites such as Disney+ or HBO don't have accurate information about the players they support. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
phytotech
Level 8

Jump to solution

I did reach out to HBOMax and like others they did not seem to know enough to offer any help, beyond remove/reload app. 

After reviewing the many replies to this topic, I tried the following which worked, but because I did both things I am not sure what actually worked.

Roku Ultra, connected to Marrantz Surround process, connected to LG 65" OLED. When I was first set up with HBO Max, I was able to watch WW84, but when trying to watch either Judas.. or Little Things in the last couple of days, the preview would play then when the movie was supposed to start, it just returned to the page which starts the movie.

I confirmed Roku updated. I removed the HBOMax app; powered off Roku, re-powered Roku, then Re-added HBOMax. Then I confirmed Roku recognized my display as 4k HDR and rather than set to Auto Detect, I explicitly set to the 4k HDR setting. Restarted one of the above movies and all is well. 

Hope that helps.

Chuck

JSpoon129
Level 8

Jump to solution

Oh God Bless you!!!! THIS THE ONLY THING THATS WORKED FOR ME!!! And I've have tried EVERY WORKAROUND mentioned on here! I was ready to order me a Firestick... Thank you again!

0 Kudos
JSpoon129
Level 8

Jump to solution

Not sure Inteplied to the correct post...The Back door method of using "search" on the Roku main screen, out in the name of the movie you want to watch and select HBO Max, the sign in screen will pop up and voila'! The only thing's that's work for me after WEEKS of restarting, rebooting, delete, add back, and repeat!!!

0 Kudos