Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mishikal
Reel Rookie

HBO Max issues with pause

Having an issue with the new HBO max channel where eventually the pause function stops working correctly -- The screen goes black, but audio continues playing, and if you hit the "play" button, it advances to the same spot where the audio is (i.e. it continues to play behind the black screen that goes up).

If you exit the app at this point, and then come back into it, HBO max will crash when re-launched.  All history of where you were in the program will be lost at this point (It moved me back 3 episodes of GoT the last time this happened, with no recollection I'd watched the next 3).

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
heyu1021

Re: HBO Max issues with pause

Mine is doing this too. Along with Prime Video. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I had this sort of happen once. I hit pause and the screen and audio froze, but the time counter continued and when I resumed I was that much further along in the movie. When I tried it again it stopped as expected, and hasn't done it since. It's obviously an issue with the Max channel. While HBO said they had it ready to go all this time, it wasn't really totally ready.

As to the Amazon channel, Amazon has been constantly making changes to their channel (and their app on other devices) for months now, and every new version seems to fix one thing but break another. My wife told me she couldn't watch it at all this morning, but I haven't have time to check it out myself. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Rph108
Reel Rookie

This has been going on for years and is still unresolved. This is a pretty big glitch. Just shows you that hbo couldn’t give two **bleep**s about their customers.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@Rph108  This thread is about to be two years old in a couple of months.  If you’re experiencing the issue mentioned in this thread, you probably need to do these steps (and in the correct order as always):

1. Remove the channel.  
2. Settings > System > Power (If not applicable, skip to the next step.) > System Restart.  
3. Re-install the channel once the device re-starts.

It may not solve the issue but it is always 1, 2, 3.  Some users have done 2, 1, 3, 1, 3, 2 or 1, 3; none of those orders provide the same solution that 1, 2, 3 should provide.  Also, if all the other apps work on your Roku device…….well then yeah, I would say it’s an issue with the HBO servers that’s been going on for a long time.  I haven’t experienced the issue myself on my Roku ‘cause I don’t use the HBOMax app that much.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos