Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU

Jump to solution

HBO Max on Hulu is still just regular HBO. It doesn’t have the HBO Max specific content like Braveheart, Friends, Lord of the Rings collection, or Harry Potter collection, or the HBO Max original content like Love Life or On The Record. But you can use your HBO subscription on Hulu to sign into the HBO Max apps on Chromecast, Xbox, or Smart TVs. 

@codybellahauser wrote:

if you have HULU add it to your plan and you dont have to dump your Roku, you can access HBO max for the same price through the website or HULU. Just saying look for a work around before you throw something away just because you can't find or fix the problem immediately! I i have the disney+ Hulu ESPN + no add subscription and HBO Max on my Roku all because I have HULU I was able to watch all of the above and not have to buy a new device! I pay $33.00 all together for all 4 streaming services 

@codybellahauser wrote:

if you have HULU add it to your plan and you dont have to dump your Roku, you can access HBO max for the same price through the website or HULU. Just saying look for a work around before you throw something away just because you can't find or fix the problem immediately! I i have the disney+ Hulu ESPN + no add subscription and HBO Max on my Roku all because I have HULU I was able to watch all of the above and not have to buy a new device! I pay $33.00 all together for all 4 streaming services 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Nope, love my Roku and wouldn’t get rid of it just for HBO. I dropped HBO instead. Whenever HBO can figure out a deal with Roku I’ll happily sign up for it again.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

This is exactly what I did! HBO Max app on Android phone. Using Chromecast to watch all HBO Max content on my TV. I already subscribed to HBO via Hulu & had HBO Now app on my phone. Once HBO Max went live on 05/27, the app updated to HBO Max. ....been watching HBO Max on TV ever since. Thank you, Chromecast! 

More than one way to skin a cat! 

Highlighted
Level 8

HBO Max issue SOLVED!!!!

Jump to solution

Roku won't carry the HBO Max app even though ATT has it ready to go.  Roku being greedy it seems and messing up my streaming.

Solution is so easy!  Don't buy Roku. Throw away if you have one. Get Android TV and install whatever you want from Google Play store.  Problem solved. Free your streaming from the tyranny of Roku!

Highlighted
Level 8

Re: HBO Max issue SOLVED!!!!

Jump to solution

You can get hbomax through Hulu. 

Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

@clfelectro wrote:

Roku won't carry the HBO Max app even though ATT has it ready to go.  Roku being greedy it seems and messing up my streaming.

Solution is so easy!  Don't buy Roku. Throw away if you have one. Get Android TV and install whatever you want from Google Play store.  Problem solved. Free your streaming from the tyranny of Roku!

It takes both sides to negotiate, and HBO Max has not come to agreement with either Roku or Amazon Fire products, the two largest in the streaming industry.  Why do you assume it is Roku being the greedy one?  

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Do you sell them?  This sounds like someone advertising. I like roku. But I do want access to HBOMAX. 

FYI - it’s not Roku. It’s HBO holding up the deal. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I don't sell anything.  I'm a pissed off roku owner (I have both roku and firestick plugged into my tv, but primarily use ruke because I like the interface better).

How come ATT has the app on google play then?  I am tracking the issue as both Roku and FireTV want to add HBO Max to their "channel" services, which is similar to how an above post mentioned it being able to be accessed through Hulu.

I hate the channel interface.  They want it because it helps their platforms, but they don't make Apps like Netflix go through it.

I acknowledge that I don't know that first hand, and I just read it in an article, and it may be completely untrue as the root cause of the disagreement.  However, it also sounds logical, and its odd that HBO Max is available on Google Play store if they are completely unreasonable.  What does Roku require of other Apps on the service, and is HBO Max getting the same deal?  If so, then I agree ATT needs to quit being a B#!@%^, but if Roku and FIreTV are treating them any differently, such as not being willing to carry their native app under the same terms as other apps like Netflix and Hulu, then those platforms are screwing with my streaming.

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

At my own home, I have a different set up from the beginning of my streaming journey.  I use Chromcast & Roku for different access requirements.  Yes, there is overlap, the results are still the same.  No 1 device offers everything I want to watch.

Problem solved..

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yeah this works, but you are only getting HBO. I did this and immediately canceled because there was no way to watch the other channels. #fail 

0 Kudos