Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: HBO Max can be accessed on your ROKU on Hulu

Jump to solution

@C_I wrote:

@morey000 wrote:

@tribecos wrote:

@morey000 wrote:

Sure- I can buy HBO for $15/mo via the Roku channel, but I'm already paying for HBO through my AT&T TV Now Streaming service package.  How do I stream what I'm already paying for?

Why can't you use the HBO Now app?  That's what I use...

Because the HBO Now app isn't available for Roku.  (I can use it on my mac, iphone, pc... just not on my TV which uses a Roku stick.)

I presume that HBO is going to work this out with Amazon (firestick) and Roku- which together, represent 70% of the streaming devices in use.  There are billions of dollars at stake here- and all the companies are playing chicken.  Right now- it's probably worth more money to HBO than to amazon/roku... so, they're going to need to pay.  

HBO NOW IS available on Roku, HBO Max is not. HBO Go is not available on Roku starting today. 

Actually, HBO Go is still *technically* available on Roku today.  If Roku was the company deciding to block HBO Go then it should be removed today.  There have been other Roku apps that have been replaced with stub icons that indicate the app has been removed and will no longer function.  That still has not happen with HBO Go.  Roku has done nothing to block HBO Go.

In fact, the active hbogo web page is still working.  You can get an activation code from the Roku app and put it into the activation page and it will proceed to letting you choose a provider.  Try it for yourself!

What changed today isn't under Roku's control at all--the change is on the list of providers accepted for activation.  AT&T/HBO still has a *long* list of *small* providers/universities that they are still leaving HBO Go running for.  The banning of HBO Go customers with larger cable providers is a policy choice made completely by AT&T/HBO.  They are the ones that control the HBO Go activation web page and removed the providers from the list for the majority of us.

But technically, the HBO Go app is still on Roku, it still can work for select providers and AT&T/HBO is still paying to keep the HBO Go infrastructure running!  AT&T is using *our* money paid to them to keep those HBO Go server running but no longer giving us access to them!

Oh, and there is still that "little" issue that not all cable providers can be used to activate HBO Max today either.  So even if we all rushed out to get alternative to Roku, not all of us that used HBO Go can continue to get what we are paying for without paying an additional $14.99 above and beyond what we pay to HBO via our cable providers.

This is not Roku being unfair to AT&T or blocking HBO.  This is AT&T/HBO being horrifically nasty to their own customers.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@fluke wrote:

@C_I wrote:

@morey000 wrote:

@tribecos wrote:

@morey000 wrote:

Sure- I can buy HBO for $15/mo via the Roku channel, but I'm already paying for HBO through my AT&T TV Now Streaming service package.  How do I stream what I'm already paying for?

Why can't you use the HBO Now app?  That's what I use...

Because the HBO Now app isn't available for Roku.  (I can use it on my mac, iphone, pc... just not on my TV which uses a Roku stick.)

I presume that HBO is going to work this out with Amazon (firestick) and Roku- which together, represent 70% of the streaming devices in use.  There are billions of dollars at stake here- and all the companies are playing chicken.  Right now- it's probably worth more money to HBO than to amazon/roku... so, they're going to need to pay.  

HBO NOW IS available on Roku, HBO Max is not. HBO Go is not available on Roku starting today. 

Actually, HBO Go is still *technically* available on Roku today.  If Roku was the company deciding to block HBO Go then it should be removed today.  There have been other Roku apps that have been replaced with stub icons that indicate the app has been removed and will no longer function.  That still has not happen with HBO Go.  Roku has done nothing to block HBO Go.

In fact, the active hbogo web page is still working.  You can get an activation code from the Roku app and put it into the activation page and it will proceed to letting you choose a provider.  Try it for yourself!

What changed today isn't under Roku's control at all--the change is on the list of providers accepted for activation.  AT&T/HBO still has a *long* list of *small* providers/universities that they are still leaving HBO Go running for.  The banning of HBO Go customers with larger cable providers is a policy choice made completely by AT&T/HBO.  They are the ones that control the HBO Go activation web page and removed the providers from the list for the majority of us.

But technically, the HBO Go app is still on Roku, it still can work for select providers and AT&T/HBO is still paying to keep the HBO Go infrastructure running!  AT&T is using *our* money paid to them to keep those HBO Go server running but no longer giving us access to them!

Oh, and there is still that "little" issue that not all cable providers can be used to activate HBO Max today either.  So even if we all rushed out to get alternative to Roku, not all of us that used HBO Go can continue to get what we are paying for without paying an additional $14.99 above and beyond what we pay to HBO via our cable providers.

This is not Roku being unfair to AT&T or blocking HBO.  This is AT&T/HBO being horrifically nasty to their own customers.

Technically, it is not. per the app :"HBO GO will no longer be available on this device starting July 31,2020(today). Contact HBO GO support for additional ways to access. HBO." Now, HBO NOW does charge $14.99 a month. and is specifically for people who don't have an HBO subscription though their cable provider. But HBO GO only required you to have an HBO  subscription through your cable provider, and you had to login to the app with your cable provider in order to access it.  Just for giggles, lets see if I can install it and run it. You can add it through a 'private channel add which you have to punch in a numerical code.  When you install it and try to run it, it says "HBO Go IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE  HBO GO has discontinued the HBO GO app. Explore other ways to watch HBO content on Roku,  AT&T TV, Xfinity , Spectrum, or HBO the Roku Channel. "

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for your solution! Great work around! Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

HBO Now is not a solution since it requires you to pay for a second subscription if you are already subscribing via your cable TV provider.

Both HBO Go and MAX allow you to use your cable subscription provider (like Spectrum, Comcast, etc.) login so you are not paying twice to access the same HBO content.

I now have to switch inputs to my SONY TV's Android environment to use HBO MAX.

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@cushlomockree That is not the case anymore, HBO Now has now become HBO GO. Anyone who has a subscription to HBO can use HBO NOW. They changed it when HBO MAX launched. I only subscribe to HBO through AT&T TV and i can use HBO NOW. 

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@dukiejosh54 wrote:

@cushlomockree That is not the case anymore, HBO Now has now become HBO GO. Anyone who has a subscription to HBO can use HBO NOW. They changed it when HBO MAX launched. I only subscribe to HBO through AT&T TV and i can use HBO NOW. 

The active page for HBO NOW list seven providers:

Consolidated Communications

Frontier Communcations

Google Fiber

Hulu

Liberty

Prime Video Channels

WarnerMedia Guest

The HBO Go activation page had A LOT more than just 7 providers to activate with.  I don't believe it is correct to say "Anyone who has a subscription to HBO can use HBO NOW."

The bottom line is that the AT&T/HBO self-imposed deadline for the banning of people paying for HBO Go has been reached.  AT&T/HBO had the option to push back the deadline for HBO GOne until a more smooth transition could be provided--but they selected not to.  They want the money and they just don't care if they deliver the service.

Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

@fluke wrote:

The HBO Go activation page had A LOT more than just 7 providers to activate with.  I don't believe it is correct to say "Anyone who has a subscription to HBO can use HBO NOW."

The bottom line is that the AT&T/HBO self-imposed deadline for the banning of people paying for HBO Go has been reached.  AT&T/HBO had the option to push back the deadline for HBO GOne until a more smooth transition could be provided--but they selected not to.  They want the money and they just don't care if they deliver the service.

You do realize that list is much shorter compared to the old HBO Go one because many providers that were listed for HBO Go now provide HBO Max as part of their HBO subscription instead of this stripped-down version--and thus aren't listed there--right? This includes Xfinity sand other major providers. Also, on platforms other than Roku and FireTV, the HBO Now app was rebranded to HBO Max in an update. And it would have been on Roku and FireTV but for Roku and Amazon gatekeeping to get a cut and direct access to subscriber data--neither of which they are entitled to. But at least on FireTV you can easily sideload HBO Max.

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@fluke this is straight from HBO's SIte "HBO GO (rebranded as HBO). A streaming service included free with your paid HBO subscription through a TV provider. HBO subscribers may have access to HBO Max for no extra cost. To learn more, see I have HBO. Do I get HBO Max?"

HBO NOW and HBO GO have combined and turned into the HBO app. anyone who subscribes to HBO with any provider like spectrum or whatever can use the HBO app (formally known as HBO NOW and HBO GO). i made a mistake i subscribe to HBO from Spectrum not At&t. I have both and i got them mixed up but it is not on your provider list and i use the HBO NOW/HBO app on roku with no problems. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@j_m_ wrote:

@fluke wrote:

You do realize that list is much shorter compared to the old HBO Go one because many providers that were listed for HBO Go now provide HBO Max as part of their HBO subscription instead of this stripped-down version--and thus aren't listed there--right? This includes Xfinity sand other major providers. Also, on platforms other than Roku and FireTV, the HBO Now app was rebranded to HBO Max in an update.

What I realize is I was responding to someone that claimed that *anyone* with access to HBO now has access to HBO NOW. That statement just is not true.

You want to claim that is because they are getting access to HBO Max. Even HBO admits that not everyone has access to HBO Max and has stated in the fine print: "Access to HBO Max varies by provider. Check with your provider to make sure you have access to HBO Max."

But even if the person does have a provider that theoretically is giving customers access to HBO Max, that doesn't mean the customer has practical access. Of the customers that watched HBO Go in July on a Roku, 100% of them had a Roku setup to watch the content they were paying for. Even if a HBO GOne victim meets the demands of getting a Chromecast or Apple TV, that doesn't mean the device will get setup. There are members of the USA now being asked to self-quarantine and avoid contact with others. The person that assisted in setting up the Roku on their wifi may not be available. So will AT&T/HBO assist with getting a Chromecast or Apple TV configured? The answer I have found is *NO*. AT&T/HBO take people's money for HBO but don't take full responsibility for delivering the product. They have a clear conflict of interest in having moved forward with the July 31st deadline because all of the problems created are passed onto the customer and they have no interest in assisting with the mess they created.

@j_m_ wrote:
And it would have been on Roku and FireTV but for Roku and Amazon gatekeeping to get a cut and direct access to subscriber data--neither of which they are entitled to.

Where are you getting your information from? When Comcast resells HBO, they get a cut and access to the data of that shared subscriber. Same with Verizon, Cox, Spectrum, etc. Why exactly shouldn't Roku be any different for what is resold through Roku Channel? Where are you getting that Roku is demanding any data beyond that of customers shared by both Roku Channel and HBO were the customer selected to purchase HBO Max via Roku Channel?

@j_m_ wrote:
But at least on FireTV you can easily sideload HBO Max.

Is that an intentional method of access that is officially supported by AT&T/HBO? Or is it a side-effect that Android and Fire OS are similar? Is there any promise from HBO not to require Google Play services and code libraries to be installed in the future (which are not typically available on Fire OS)? Is there any promise from Amazon to always allow enabling "unknown sources" option?

One of the reasons I ask is because there have been issues with side-loading on Fire OS in the past. I even contacted Amazon support about one of the Fire OS updates making side-loading more difficult. What I was told was that support considered it a feature Fire OS broke functionality related to side-loading because installing from unknown sources voids the warranty. This statement seems to be an admission that Amazon actively violates the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. It also makes no sense as a reasonable excuse when the warranty already expired for the device I was contacting them about. But it also makes me suspicious of people that claim an app can always be *updated* as needed on a Fire TV product.

Just because a side-loaded version of HBO Max works today does not mean that version will continue to work in the future as Google Play pushes out updates to the app to everything else except Fire TV. Also, just because the current version can be side-loaded and works does not mean future versions will.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply(s).

Neither the HBO NOW app or the newer HBO app list my cable provider (Charter/Spectrum--don't see any other major providers as well) as another way to log on at the HBO web site that utilizes the code for the Roku device being activated.

Since I am already paying for HBO via Spectrum I will use either HBO MAX on my TV's Android environment or my provider's app (Spectrum).

This is a minor inconvenience for me, but seems like a major ripoff for anyone who does not have a smart TV or some other mechanism to do the "workaround."

It also seems like a calculated exploitation by streaming providers to gouge customers who are sheltering in place and watching more TV. Hulu, Roku Channel, and Prime channels all require an additional subscription to HBO. Not a solution for me.

We used to have a functioning FCC--this type of exploitation seems like collusion.

0 Kudos